Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] proposal: add relatedlink element to topic

"Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net> writes:
> A relatedlink element provides a solution to this problem. Instead of
> an explicit cross reference, an author can insert a relatedlink
> element at any point in a topic element like an indexterm.

Index terms have to be located inline because their location
identifies a target for a cross-reference. In the case of relatedlink,
it sounds like the relationship is from (some parent of) the
relatedlink element to some other place.

If a relatedlink element appears in a para in a section in a chapter
in a part in a book in a set, what determines the granularity of the
link source?

It sounds to me like perhaps relatedlink should be allowed inside an
info wrapper and not in inline content.

> Allowing relatedlink elements to appear inline permits them to be kept
> close to the text they are related to. Then if the text is deleted, so
> is the relatedlink. If the text is modified, then the relatedlink can
> be evaluated by the author to see if it is still relevant.

Can you give a concrete example of a relatedlink element?

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Waste no more time arguing what a
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | good man should be. Be
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | one.--Marcus Aurelius