Subject: Implementing DocBook assemblies with XProc

Folks,

I continued to tinker with assemblies while I was offline the last
couple of weeks. I now have a fairly complete solution based on an
XSLT stylesheet that generates an XProc pipeline.

I've moved a few things around for convenience. I added a <transform>
element to modules so that more than one transform can easily be
specified.

I've also decided that inheriting the preceding-sibling's "renderas"
is more confusing than not. Consider this example:

<structure xml:id="user-guide">
  <output renderas="book"/>
  <info>
    <title>Widget User Guide</title>
  </info>
  <module resourceref="full-toc"/>
  <module resourceref="tut1">
    <output renderas="chapter"/>
  </module>
  <module resourceref="tut2">
    <output renderas="chapter"/>
  </module>
  <module resourceref="task1">
    <output renderas="chapter"/>
  </module>
  <module>
    <output renderas="appendix"/>
    <info>
      <title>Troubleshooting</title>
    </info>
    <module resourceref="tut3">
      <output renderas="section"/>
      <info>
        <title>Troubleshooting spindle and bearing problems</title>
      </info>
      <module resourceref="tut5" contentonly="true"/>
      <module resourceref="task4">
        <output renderas="section"/>
      </module>
      <module resourceref="task3"/>
    </module>
  </module>
  <module resourceref="index"/>
</structure>

Having my index turned automatically into an appendix was quite
puzzling at first.

I'm still wondering if anyone sees any major functionality holes in my
earlier documentation of assembly.

P.S. I also submitted a paper proposal on this topic to the XML Prague
2010 conference.

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | It is good to have an end to
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | journey toward; but it is the