Subject: RE: [docbook-tc] Link relationships

Hi Norm,

If I'm going to localize my content, I'd hate to have something like
this:

  <para>There are chapters<relatedlink linkend="db.chapter"/> and
  appendixes<relatedlink linkend="db.appendix"/> in a book.</para>

It's going to complicate the translation process and add to the cost,
because the <relatedlink> elements are treated as new segments, breaking
up the sentence into incomplete components that can't be translated in
isolation. If I'm going to mark up my related links in the topic, I'd
rather put them at the beginning or end of the <para> element, like so:

  <para>There are chapters and
  appendixes in a book.<relatedlink linkend="db.chapter"/><relatedlink
linkend="db.appendix"/></para>

This lets the sentence be translated (or matched if in the translation
memory) and the relatedlink elements are ignored (presumably the
translator would be told not to localize them).

<aside>Inline index terms should go at the beginning of the paragraph,
since they generate page location markers and usually you want to
reference the beginning of the paragraph in case the paragraph breaks
over two pages. This is not relevant for related links.</aside>

I agree with you that you want to aggregate all related links that apply
to a chunk of output together -- it makes no difference whether they are
marked up at the topic or assembly level, they should be combined in the
rendered deliverable. Note that they are combined per rendered chunk. In
other words, if I have 3 topics that I'm chunking together into a single
HTML page, all related links that pertain to these 3 topics should be
rendered at the bottom of the HTML page. So any sorting, grouping, and
so forth that may be done to the related links needs to happen at the
point in the processing where it makes sense, not at the point they are
marked up in the source XML code.

--
Gershon