Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] resource fragments

"Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com> writes:

> fwiw, I note that xinclude uses the two attribute approach:
> an href attribute that is a URI reference without a fragment
> identifier and an xpointer attribute that gives just the
> fragment identifier.

Yeah, and I think that's probably the way to go.

This is going to lead to:

    <resource xml:id="svn.properties"
       fileref="subversion/properties.xml#using.properties"/>
    <resource xml:id="svn.builtins"
       fileref="subversion/properties.xml#builtin.properties"/>
    <resource xml:id="svn.xyzzy"
       fileref="subversion/properties.xml#xyzzy"/>

which seems awfully redundant.

>> 2.  Reference a fragment of a whole resource from a module:
>>
>>    <resource xml:id="svn.properties"
>>       fileref="subversion/properties.xml"/>
>>    <module resourceref="svn.properties#using.properties"/>

Yuck. Do not like. :-)

>> Perhaps a different syntax might work better:
>>
>> 3.  Reference a fragment of a whole resource from a module using
>> another attribute:
>>
>>    <resource xml:id="svn.properties"
>>       fileref="subversion/properties.xml"/>
>>    <module resourceref="svn.properties" fragment="using.properties"/>

For consistency with XInclude, I propose we name the second attribute
xpointer.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | A proof tells us where to
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | concentrate our doubts.-- Anonymous
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |