Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Assembly questions

"Gershon Joseph (gerjosep)" <gerjosep@cisco.com> writes:

> For what it's worth, I have seen many use cases in DITA where the same
> bookmap or map is used to represent different types of deliverables as
> well as different formats of those deliverables. So I side with Larry,
> and if you're leaving it as-is I'm happy. This particular use case can
> be challenging in DITA too, and I feel the additional functionality we
> have in DocBook is much more elegant.

Ok. I'm happy to be persuaded that there's more going on here than my
limited imagination can grasp, but if that's the case, I need some
help understanding how all these pieces interact.

Can someone construct a concrete example that utilizes this additional
functionality, describing both the input and the different outputs and
how the processor uses the information in the assembly file to
generate them?

I've started building an assembly example in the TDG5. It's a set of
topics about installing and using a printer. The tools that I'm
developing aren't anywhere public yet, but the topic sources and the
assembly file are here:

  /docbook/defguide5/en/examples/printer

in DocBook SVN.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Every new beginning comes from