OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 21 July 2010

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 21 July 2010

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 21 July 2010 at
01:00p EDT (10:00a PDT, 17:00GMT, 18:00BST, 19:00CEST, 02:00JST+,
022:30p India+) for 50 minutes.

1. Roll call

Nancy Harrison, Dick Hamilton, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph,
Jirka Kosek, Larry Rowland, Bob Stayton, Norm Walsh

Regrets: Paul Grosso

2. Accepted the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: 18 August 2010

4. Review of the agenda.

No changes.

5. Review of open action items

  a.  Norm to develop a proposal for maintaining the DocBook websites.

  b.  Scott to submit Publishing DTD to OASIS for review.

  c.  Larry to render the current reltable example from
      Bob and Norm with the current assembly elements for

  d.  Jirka to develop proposal for transclusion in DocBook.

6.  Publishing Subcommittee report.

The schema has been published and is under public review until
23 July. One comment back so far.

7.  eLearning Subcommittee report.

Met and continued discussion of use cases and other issues.

8.  Reltables in modular DocBook.


9.  Transclusion in DocBook.

Jirka's draft proposal [2] was discussed.
One key issue is duplicate id values when content
is included more than once. The mailing list thread
includes some ideas for resolution.
Larry would like to see processing options added
to refering element. Bob asked if preprocessing
to resolve inclusions was the expected processing
model, and members generally agreed. Jirka wants
to make simple cases easily work. Some discussion
of attribute vs. element for the address of
an include.

ACTION: Jirka to develop the proposal further.

10.  Release of DocBook 5.1 beta.

Norm released 5.1b1 on docbook.org [3].
The assembly.dtd is not yet available.
Scott suggested that some tools are needed for processing.
Norm's questions about assembly were addressed.

a. renderas attribute on module and its output element?
Module is simpler if you don't need multiple outputs.
If conflict, then output element wins.

b.  Make renderas a qname?  Yes, so namespaces can be used.

c.  structure element should have renderas?  Yes.

d.  What is structure type attribute for?
Tells the production system how to assemble.
Norm wants more explanation for documenting it.

e. Use of description attribute on resource?
Norm and Gershon suggest it should be an element to support
complete localization, including Ruby.
Larry says it is for generating a manifest.  Gershon
suggested a different attribute name, then.

ACTION: Norm to release 5.1b2 and announce it more widely.

ACTION: Larry to create a sample of the use of @type.

11.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
      1907003  biblioid content model too broad  

    RFEs to be considered 
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation  
      2820190  add a topic element  
      2820947  Ability to transclude text 
      2935829  Expand content model of sidebar 
      2964576  disallow table in entry  

No new RFEs.


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201006/msg00013.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201007/msg00023.html
[3] http://docbook.org/schemas/5x

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]