Subject: RE: [docbook-tc] assembly rnc issues

Bob,

As usual, using the markup to do something is the real test ;-)

1.  I think title or info/title should be optional, not required children of structure.  The original schema allowed title but not info/title, but it was intended to override the title of the imported module since we didn't have the explicit override container model (which I still think makes things more complex than they need to be, but it is what was agreed to).  I am not sure what the title of a structure is if it does not provide the title of the document being generated by the structure, but I am not expert in DITA-like modular documentation and there may be some use of a title in a manifest.

2.  I think that allowing arbitrary intermixing of navigation and module components is reasonable, particularly since we are no using toc to represent lists of titles in addition to the traditional Table of Contents.  I have also seen a lot of chapters with an introductory paragraph or two followed by a short Table of Contents.

3.  I would actually like some metadata like revision history to be a direct child of structure rather than requiring an info wrapper, since I prefer the simplest markup possible, but I understand wanting to limit the number of direct children of structure.  If revhistory is a legal child of both structure and info it might be better to make them exclude one another (like title).

Regards,
Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:08 PM
To: DocBook Technical Committee
Subject: [docbook-tc] assembly rnc issues

I'm starting to use assembly and I have three issues that have come up that I wanted
to ask the TC about.

1.  In <structure>, the RNC has db.structure.info as a required child of structure.
That requires structure to have either a child title element, or a child info element
containing a title.   I think title and info should be optional.

I'm creating a book, so my structure has type="book".  I'm including as the first
module child a reference to a file containing a book element whose only content is an
info element which contains the title, and that module has contentonly="true" so I can
discard its book wrapper.  So I don't want or need a title on my structure, and so I
think it should be optional.  Trying to make module the first child of structure is
currently not valid.

If I must have a structure title, what is its significance?  I presume it would be
considered a label only for the structure and not appear in output. The info element
of a structure is metadata for structure, and is not to contain content for output,
right? That's what the override element is for.

2.  In structure, the content model includes:

db.navigation.components*,
db.module+,
db.navigation.components*

That means nav elements cannot be interspersed among modules.  You can't have a toc
follow a preface module, a glossary followed by a module for appendix, or an index
followed by a colophon module.  Shouldn't the nav components be mixable with modules?

3.  The content model for structure includes revhistory, even though the info element
for structure allows revhistory.  Is there some reason for that redundancy (the only
info element that is redundant)?

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net