Subject: RE: [docbook-tc] Open issues in DocBook transclusion proposal

I guess it depends on what can constitute a profiling
condition, but I'm assuming that something that gets
transcluded could affect profiling.  If so, then which
defs and refs are effective could depend on what gets
transcluded, so you can get into a circular thing here.

If we just say "first transclude, then profile" you may
end up processing defs (and thereby possibly overidding
other defs) only to discover that the def should not
have been effective, but it's too late.

We could say "first profile only defs and refs, then
transclude, then profile everything else".  I think that
may be what Jirka is saying above.  I think that avoids
circularity and is unambiguous, but it does mean two
profiling passes, and it may produce results that are
hard for users to understand.

I don't know what the right answer is here.

paul