Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Transclusions to XInclude mapping

Dave Pawson wrote:

> Thanks Jirka, great piece of work (and good intro to xInclude!).
> In summary, do you believe:
> a) xInclude isn't up to it

In short yes.

Actually if "de jure" conformance to XInclude is strong requirement, we
can introduce custom XPointer scheme which can be used to convey
transclusion specific metadata, something like:

<xi:include href="foo.xml" xpointer="dbtrans(target, new-xml-id,
idfixup, linkscope)"/>

But I think that having this supported in tools would be more difficult
then to support something DocBook specific because it would require
change in XInclusion procesor which is usually external component
behaving like a black box.

> b) Implementation of xInclude isn't up to it?

Definitively. Anyone trying to use xpointer="..." across different tools
has been bitten by this.

OpenPGP digital signature