OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: RE: [docbook-tc] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 20October 2010

Regarding agenda item 5.b:

Attached is a ZIP file with three files in it:

  1. pets-assembly.xml
  2. pets-dita.xml
  3. reltable-as-relationship.xml

File 2 is the sample that Bob developed showing a DITA reltable.  File 1 is a reworking of the assembly version of his representation of the same thing in an assembly, trying to capture more of the functionality expressed in his DITA version than his original assembly version did (his original files were docbook-assembly.xml and dita-assembly.xml).

File 3 is based on a description of reltable linking that Nancy sent me (http://www.infomanagementcenter.com/enewsletter/200511/second.htm).  There is a comprehensive sample at the end of the article, including a diagram showing the linking of the topics that the reltable produces.  I reworked that using relationships.  I am not copying the original DITA since I do not want to use another author's work without permission.

The biggest thing I have done is a processing assumption that when the remap attribute for a relationships element is "relrow" that the relationship elements within it are treated as a collection equivalent to the relcells in a relrow.  This is probably an abuse of the remap attribute, but type is not an attribute available on the relationships element.  It would probably be preferable to add a type attribute (or perhaps use role).  It may also be valuable to look at some of the other attributes like linking that are used in implementing reltable functionality.  Part of this depends on how important closely mimicking the reltable model is.

This may not be the best way to approach this type of representation, but it was the first one I came up with.

There are, of course, other relationships that are valuable to capture, such as paths through information sets (like help systems), but that was not what this task was addressing.

Larry Rowland

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:12 AM
To: DocBook Technical Committee
Cc: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [docbook-tc] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 20 October 2010

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 20 October 2010

The DocBook Technical Committee will meet on Wednesday, 20 October 2010 at
01:00p EDT (10:00a PDT, 17:00GMT, 18:00BST, 19:00CEST, 02:00JST+,
022:30p India+) for 90 minutes.

Attendance at teleconferences is restricted to members
(and prospective members) of the committee.

This is the phone number for Wednesday's DocBook TC call:

Phone: +1-719-387-5556
 Code: 902213

The DocBook TC uses the #docbook IRC channel on
irc.freenode.org.  The IRC channel is used for exchanging
URIs, providing out-of-band comments, and other aspects
of the teleconference, so please join us there if at
all possible.


1. Roll call
2. Accepting the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.
3. Next meeting: 17 November 2010
4. Review of the agenda.
5. Review of open action items

  a.  Norm to develop a proposal for maintaining the DocBook websites.

  b.  Larry and Nancy to render the current reltable example from
      Bob and Norm with the current assembly elements for

  c.  Nancy to send some example reltables to the tc-list.

  d.  Bob to write up a short policy statement about the use
      of the DocBook namespace.

  e.  Bob to respond to RFE 3035565.

  f.  Jirka to investigate transclusion-to-XInclude mapping.

6.  Publishing Subcommittee report.

7.  Online documentation for 5.0 *and* 5.1 (Bob).

8.  Reltables in modular DocBook.

9.  Transclusion in DocBook.

Please see Jirka's updated proposal and discussion thread. [2]

10.  Discussion of Larry's help example in assembly and @type proposal. [3]

11.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
      1907003  biblioid content model too broad  

    RFEs to be considered 
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation  
      2820190  add a topic element  
      2820947  Ability to transclude text 
      2964576  disallow table in entry  
      3035565  Allow sections at any level  

      No new RFEs.


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201009/msg00010.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201010/msg00001.html
[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201009/msg00007.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

To unsubscribe from this mail list, you must leave the OASIS TC that
generates this mail.  Follow this link to all your TCs in OASIS at:


[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]