OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 October 2010

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 October 2010

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 20 October 2010 at
01:00p EDT (10:00a PDT, 17:00GMT, 18:00BST, 19:00CEST, 02:00JST+,
022:30p India+) for 50 minutes.

1. Roll call

Paul Grosso, Dick Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, 
Jirka Kosek, Larry Rowland, Bob Stayton, Norm Walsh

Regrets: Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph

2. Accepted the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: 17 November 2010

No regrets.

4. Review of the agenda.

No new items.

5. Review of open action items

  a.  Norm to develop a proposal for maintaining the DocBook websites.

  b.  Larry and Nancy to render the current reltable example from
      Bob and Norm with the current assembly elements for

  c.  Nancy to send some example reltables to the tc-list.

  d.  Bob to write up a short policy statement about the use
      of the DocBook namespace.

  e.  Bob to respond to RFE 3035565.

  f.  Jirka to investigate transclusion-to-XInclude mapping.

6.  Publishing Subcommittee report.

Scott reported that they were waiting for the Committee Specification
to be posted, but then Mary McRae reported that it was.
Norm will investigate.

7.  Online documentation for 5.0 *and* 5.1 (Bob).

Bob pointed out that the current online version of DocBook: The Definitive
Guide version 5 is being updated as changes are made.  However,
users of 5.0 need reference documentation for 5.0.

ACTION: Norm to publish an online version of 5.0.

8.  Reltables in modular DocBook.

Larry posted examples shortly before the meeting, so the
group decided to continue this item to next meeting
so we could review the examples.

9.  Transclusion in DocBook.
Please see Jirka's updated proposal and discussion thread. [2]

Jirka added appendix C to the proposal to show how XInclude
could implement some of the transclusion features. Does
not completely work for all use cases, in particular regarding
duplicate ids.

Norm mentioned that the mapping between them might be useful
to implementors.

Bob said that we are looking to use XSLT as the reference
implementation of transclusion, and not expecting
something at the XML parser level like XInclude.
Jirka pointed out that it is not hard to implement with XSLT.

Paul was wondering if one could use XInclude as part of 
the implementation in some products?  He is also skeptical
about getting id fixup to work as different users
might expect it.

Larry said their implementation of transclusion already
does three models of id fixup.

Norm proposed posting this proposal as a draft spec to
docbook.org and publicizing it to the docbook lists for
comment, including comments by XML vendors.

ACTION:  Jirka to post the transclusion spec to docbook.org.

10.  Discussion of Larry's help example in assembly and @type proposal. [3]

Continue this item, urging members to review Larry's example
before the next meeting.

11.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
      1907003  biblioid content model too broad  

    RFEs to be considered 
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation  
      2820190  add a topic element  
      2820947  Ability to transclude text 
      2964576  disallow table in entry  
      3035565  Allow sections at any level  

      No new RFEs.


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201009/msg00010.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201010/msg00001.html
[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201009/msg00007.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]