Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] proposed result element

"Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net> writes:
> I reviewed Larry's proposal for a result element, and would like to
> initiate an email discussion.  I think the proposal is fine, and I
> have some comments.
>
> 1.  I think formal elements should be included in the content model of
> result.  I could easily see cases where a result would contain a table
> or figure that is significant enough to be cross referenced to from
> elsewhere in the document.

Yep.

> 2.  Do we need to specify that placement of result is at the end of
> procedure or step? That seems to be a presentational feature.  I could
> see authoring the result at the beginning and then writing the steps
> to get to that result. Some presentation styles may use that order as
> well.

I can see both sides of this one. Steps are ordered, saying that the
result precedes the first step seems inconsistent with the current
implicit rule that the first step precedes the second, etc.

But if we decide to allow intermediate results, then the results are
effectively ordered too.

> 3.  I think we should allow multiple sibling result elements. In
> addition to Larry's use case to handle different procedure outcomes
> using a class attribute, authors may need to use profiling to select
> different results for different document conditions. Allowing multiple
> result elements makes such profiling easier.

I suppose.

> 4.  If we include a class attribute for result, do we handle it like
> other class attributes, with an enumerated list and an "otherclass"
> attribute?

Yes. Perhaps a type attribute would be better.

> Thanks to Larry for a thorough proposal.

Indeed! Thanks, Larry!

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Nothing ever becomes real till it
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | is experienced--even a proverb is
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | no proverb to you until your life