OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 March 2011

"Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net> writes:
> DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 March 2011
> =============================================================
> Agenda
> 1. Roll call

Present: Norm, Gershon, Larry, Paul, Dick, Jirka

Regrets: Bob

> 2. Accepting the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.


> 3. Next meeting: 20 April 2011

Gershon, Larry give regrets. Larry may have continuing regrets for
this time slot, if so we'll consider changing our time.

> 4. Review of the agenda.

Anything we can do at the DITA/CMS conference?

> 5. Review of open action items
>  a.  Norm to publish an online version of DocBook 5.0 doc.


>  b.  Norm to add namespace usage policy to the official docs.


>  c.  Larry to clarify list relationship in the assembly linking proposal.


>  d.  Norm to respond to RFE 3146537 HTML forms elements are missing.


>  e.  Larry to create proposed content models for step and procedure
>      to include new <result> element.


> 6.  Linking in assembly.
> Please see Larry's latest proposal. [2]

Larry's revised proposal is here:

Some discussion of the issues raised by Larry at the end of that document.

Norm observes that he would have used <tocentry linkend="..."/>
instead of nested <xref> elements. Some question about whether that's
reasonable markup.

Even with the TOC markup, you still need an <instance> element because
you need somewhere to hang the additional semantic that this is where
the list goes (@linking=).

Norm: Since using TOC markup didn't reduce the number of elements we
need, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Norm asks if we can change association to title. Larry observes that
it's functioning as a title here, but it isn't semantically the same
as a title. If you're generating a semantic map, you use the
association to measure the distance between concepts.

Norm: I think we should abandon the TOC markup.

Gershon: Me too.

Larry: Ok.

> 8.  Decision about Larry's help example in assembly and @type
> proposal. 

Norm: I don't recall why I objected, but I'm prepared to withdraw the

No other comments heard.

Norm: Speaking more generally, do we have a sense of how well the
Addembly Reference section in the documentation reflects reality?

Larry: I think it may need some minor changes and extensions. I think
adding something about the help system would be helpful.

ACTION: Larry to review the DocBook 5.1 schema to see if it reflects
his notion of the current state of play.

> 7.  Transclusion in DocBook.
> Please see Jirka's updated requirements [3] and proposal [4]

Jirka: I think the work has stalled a little bit. We published the
requirements and proposals, but there have been very few responses.
Some users thought it was nice because it had some features they
liked, but few vendors have replied. At least one vendor suggested
that it was too complex.

Jirka: I think if vendors aren't going to implement it, we should try
to simplify it.

Norm: Would you be willing to write up the simpification proposal as a
new "Alternative Approach" appendix?

ACTION: Jirka to write the simplification proposal as a new appendix.

Some discussion of the limitations of conref:

1. You can only point to one element (not a range of elements).
2. You can only point to one element type.
3. Conref is a pull, you can now use "conref push" to push
   the content into another document.

> 8b. Anything we can do at the DITA/CMS conference?

The DITA/CMS conference "DITA North America" is in Baltimore, MD, USA,
on 4-6 April. Gershon is going to attend.

Is anyone else planning to attend? No one says yes.

Norm wonders if we could find out if anyone would be interested in a
DocBook Conference.

Gershon, I can do that, but we should try to join it up with some
other conference.

Jirka: XML Prague is going to be in a larger venue next year, so we
might be able to colocate it there.

> 9.  Review of Requests for Enhancement
>    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):
>      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&;;
>      group_id=21935&atid=384107&aid=XXXX
>    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
>      1907003  biblioid content model too broad  
>    RFEs under discussion
>      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation
>      2820190  add a topic element
>      2820947  Ability to transclude text
>      3035565  Allow sections at any level
>      3107140  aconym expansion inline
>      3146537  HTML forms elements are missing from DocBook 5 schemas
>      3156768  <result> tag
>    New RFEs 
>      3163121  Add <preface> as a child of <set>

Norm: I'm not sure how that could possibly work. If a collection is a
set of books, how could a preface be anything *but* a slim volume with
the title Preface?

Larry: I think the real problem is that this a web thing that's a
collection of books. They're user guides presented on the web and I
think he wants a container to present that information.

ACTION: Norm to ask what the submitter intends to do with the preface
if not print it as a book? (Completed 3/16)

>      3171553  allow dedication in article

Norm: Ok, I suppose. But if we allow it in Article, should we also
allow it in Chapter, etc.?

Larry: Articles are presented stand-alone, but I don't think Chapters
are usually conceived of that way.

Norm: Fair enough.

Norm: The proposal is to add dedication to article, any objections?


>      3174769  Add securitycontext to the class enumeration for systemitem 

Norm: Systemitem currently has a great big list of things but nothing
that looks like security.

Larry: I'd call it a role; I suggest we provide the otherclass
extension point and let folks invent their own.

Dick: Yeah, I'm surprised there's no other.

Norm: Ok, the extension point makes perfect sense. We've been generous
about adding new values, so I'm not inclined to reject the request.

Larry: The list is already long, and some of them are very specialized.

Norm: Historically, we've used class on system item as a catchall to
handle the case where people have been asking for new inlines.

Norm: I propose adding the class=other/otherclass escape hatch.


Norm: I think we should add 'securitycontext' as well.


>      3199793  allow xi:include in set  

Norm: I think this is complete oversight. Propose we fix it.


> -----
> [1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201101/msg00004.html
> [2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201012/msg00007.html
> [3] http://docbook.org/docs/transclusion-requirements/
> [4] http://docbook.org/docs/transclusion/

Any other business?

None heard.

                                        Be seeing you,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Every new beginning comes from
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | some other beginning's end.
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |

PGP signature

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]