Subject: RE: [docbook-tc] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 15June 2011

I must give my regrets for this month's meeting, as a mandatory training session has been scheduled directly opposite this meeting (and I suspect you all will be having more fun).

I had completed my action item prior to the previous meeting, however there was little discussion on the mailing lists.  I have attached my original message and Norm's response to it and my response to him.  Norm and I did discuss the issues briefly during the second attempt at last month's meeting and resolved that using the element name "description" instead of "manifesttext" would be preferable and that supporting namespaces in the format attribute is something we should probably wait to implement until it is requested, since you could include something to indicate the namespace in the tokens that were used (dita.webhelp and db.webhelp for the DITA and DocBook versions of Web help).  With these changes, I think that updating the schema to deal with the issues listed in the original message would bring it into compliance with what we have discussed.

Regards,
Larry Rowland

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 10:10 AM
To: DocBook Technical Committee
Cc: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 15 June 2011

The DocBook Technical Committee will meet on Wednesday, 15 June 2011 at
01:00p EDT for 90 minutes.

Attendance at teleconferences is restricted to members
(and prospective members) of the committee.

This is the phone number for Wednesday's DocBook TC call:

Phone: +1-719-387-5556
 Code: 902213

The DocBook TC uses the #docbook IRC channel on
irc.freenode.org.  The IRC channel is used for exchanging
URIs, providing out-of-band comments, and other aspects
of the teleconference, so please join us there if at
all possible.

Agenda

1. Roll call
2. Accepting the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.
3. Next meeting: 20 July 2011
4. Review of the agenda.
5. Review of open action items

  a.  Larry to review the DocBook 5.1 schema to see if it reflects
      his notion of the current state of play for assembly.

  b.  Jirka to create a single file Publishers schema.

  c.  Bob to query Norm about adding Publishers schema to TDG.

  d.  Bob to send note to Norm asking if he can create
      a Simplified DocBook 5 schema. Scott said he could help.

  e.  Bob to update his XSL stylesheet for building a
      DocBook document from an assembly.

  f.  Jirka will write up a comparison of the two transclusion
      approaches (empty element with @ref attribute or
      dedicated ref element).

  g.  Nancy will review the DITA discussion of this
      issue of processing order of transclusions and profiling.

  h.  Bob to investigate ISTC and report to the TC.

6.  Publishers Schema promotion

Add to docbook.org.
Stylesheets.
Documentation.

7.  Simplified DocBook 5

8.  DocBook assembly.

9.  Transclusion in DocBook.

10. Handling HTML and FO semantics [2]

11.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):

      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&;;
      group_id=21935&atid=384107&aid=XXXX

    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
      1907003  biblioid content model too broad

    RFEs under discussion
      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation
      2820190  add a topic element
      2820947  Ability to transclude text
      3035565  Allow sections at any level
      3107140  aconym expansion inline
      3146537  HTML forms elements are missing from DocBook 5 schemas
      3156768  <result> tag
      3163121  Add <preface> as a child of <set>
      3274136  Production markup is too limiting
      3287339  Add ISTC to class attribute for biblioid

-----

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201104/msg00017.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201106/msg00007.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

--- Begin Message ---
As requested at the last TC meeting, I am initiating a discussion of
how well the current schema at top of tree reflects the recent
discussions of the assembly at TC meetings.

I applied the attached RNC version of the top of tree assembly schema,
provided by Norm, to three recent sample files generated during the
discussions of the assembly and relationship elements.  The following
comments are based on elements and attributes that were not allowed by
the current schema (or behaved differently than the discussions
assumed) but were included in the files and were necessary to
accomplish the outcomes described in the discussions of the files.
The assembly schema is a flattened schema and quite large, so doing a
thorough analysis of it will take some time, but this should be a good
starting point for the discussion.

The names of the attributes and elements are open for discussion.  The
semantics they represent are missing.  The values of the attributes
are representative, not necessarily exhaustive (this is, after all,
intended to stimulate discussion).

1) The element "manifesttext" is missing.  It is intended to provide
   descriptions of the resources for a manifest document generated by
   parsing an assembly that has a set of resources designed to be
   reused across assemblies, to support easy reuse of shared
   resources.  It replaces a proposed description attribute that was
   rejected due to localization concerns about putting editable text
   in an attribute.  It is intended for simple (typically a sentence
   or phrase) descriptions, so little, if any, markup should be
   allowed inside it.  I assumed CDATA.
   A) The element "manifesttext" should be allowed as a child of
      "resources."
   B) The element "manifesttext" should be allowed as a child of
      "resource."

2) The attribute "format" on the "output" element originally allowed
   multiple tokens rather than a single one.  This was to allow a
   single output element to bind a characteristic to multiple output
   formats (such as webhelp and ohj, which frequently have similar
   delivery structures).  If it does not allow multiple tokens, the
   same result can be achieved by repeated binding of the
   characteristic to multiple output statements, but the intent may be
   less obvious.

   Allowing the tokens to include name spaces was also discussed,
   supporting something like "dita:webhelp" to indicate the output is
   in the form of a webhelp system described by DITA as opposed to
   "db:webhelp" which would specify a DocBook Webhelp system.

3) It may be desirable to allow the element output in more positions
   as a child of structure, it currently has to precede title, which
   was somewhat confusing, as I initially concluded it was not allowed
   as a direct child of structure.  I had title and titleabbrev
   preceding the output elements in one file, but following it in
   another or I would have concluded it was not allowed as a child of
   structure based on a single instance that had it in the wrong
   position.  Similar concerns apply to positioning it inside a
   module.

4) The attribute "chunk" should be allowed on the element "output," as
   well as on "module," to deal with situations where chunking needs
   to be specified for one output but not for others into which the
   same structure is being rendered.  If specified on a module as well
   as on an output element that is a child of the module, the value of
   the attribute on the module is the default for all outputs and the
   value on the output element overrides the default for the specified
   outputs.

5) The attribute "linking" needs to be added to the element "instance"
   to allow specifying the type of linking.  Example values include
   "targetonly" and "destinationonly," and "pathshome," and
   "listdestination."  This is the name of the attribute used for much
   the same purpose in DITA.

6) The attribute "type" should be allowed on the element
   "relationships" to allow defining groups of relations with specific
   characteristics based on the type specification.  Example values
   include "pathlist" and "lists."

7) The element "instance" needs to be added as a child of
   "relationships" to support the use of relationships to describe
   combinations of paths through documentation.

Larry
[ Larry Rowland             | If you want to build a ship, don't drum ]
[ MSL/QST+CSI               | up the men to gather the wood, divide   ]
[ Hewlett-Packard           | the work, and give orders. Instead,     ]
[ 3404 East Harmony Road    | teach them to yearn for the vast and    ]
[ Fort Collins, CO  80528   | endless sea. - Antoine de Saint Exupery ]
[ Phone: 970/898-2280       +-----------------------------------------]
[ E-Mail:larry.rowland@.hp.com                                        ]
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
"Rowland, Larry" <larry.rowland@hp.com> writes:
> As requested at the last TC meeting, I am initiating a discussion of
> how well the current schema at top of tree reflects the recent
> discussions of the assembly at TC meetings.
[...]
> 1) The element "manifesttext" is missing.  It is intended to provide
>    descriptions of the resources for a manifest document generated by
>    parsing an assembly that has a set of resources designed to be
>    reused across assemblies, to support easy reuse of shared
>    resources.  It replaces a proposed description attribute that was
>    rejected due to localization concerns about putting editable text
>    in an attribute.  It is intended for simple (typically a sentence
>    or phrase) descriptions, so little, if any, markup should be
>    allowed inside it.  I assumed CDATA.
>    A) The element "manifesttext" should be allowed as a child of
>       "resources."
>    B) The element "manifesttext" should be allowed as a child of
>       "resource."

Can we overload "alt" for this purpose? I'm not sure that's a good idea,
I'm just wondering out loud. If not, I think I'd prefer an element
called "description" or something more generic than "manifesttext".

> 2) The attribute "format" on the "output" element originally allowed
>    multiple tokens rather than a single one.  This was to allow a
>    single output element to bind a characteristic to multiple output
>    formats (such as webhelp and ohj, which frequently have similar
>    delivery structures).  If it does not allow multiple tokens, the
>    same result can be achieved by repeated binding of the
>    characteristic to multiple output statements, but the intent may be
>    less obvious.
>
>    Allowing the tokens to include name spaces was also discussed,
>    supporting something like "dita:webhelp" to indicate the output is
>    in the form of a webhelp system described by DITA as opposed to
>    "db:webhelp" which would specify a DocBook Webhelp system.

Multiple tokens is ok by me. I'm agnostic on whether they should have
namespaces or not. On the one hand, it would distinguish between
dita:webhelp and db:webhelp, but aren't the tokens just invented by
the author? Are we really expecting assemblies to be reused and shared
in ways that require namespaces?

> 3) It may be desirable to allow the element output in more positions
>    as a child of structure, it currently has to precede title, which
>    was somewhat confusing, as I initially concluded it was not allowed
>    as a direct child of structure.  I had title and titleabbrev
>    preceding the output elements in one file, but following it in
>    another or I would have concluded it was not allowed as a child of
>    structure based on a single instance that had it in the wrong
>    position.  Similar concerns apply to positioning it inside a
>    module.

Hmm. As long as it doesn't torture the content model, I've no
objection to allowing it in more places.

> 4) The attribute "chunk" should be allowed on the element "output," as
>    well as on "module," to deal with situations where chunking needs
>    to be specified for one output but not for others into which the
>    same structure is being rendered.  If specified on a module as well
>    as on an output element that is a child of the module, the value of
>    the attribute on the module is the default for all outputs and the
>    value on the output element overrides the default for the specified
>    outputs.

Ok.

> 5) The attribute "linking" needs to be added to the element "instance"
>    to allow specifying the type of linking.  Example values include
>    "targetonly" and "destinationonly," and "pathshome," and
>    "listdestination."  This is the name of the attribute used for much
>    the same purpose in DITA.

Ok.

> 6) The attribute "type" should be allowed on the element
>    "relationships" to allow defining groups of relations with specific
>    characteristics based on the type specification.  Example values
>    include "pathlist" and "lists."

Ok.

> 7) The element "instance" needs to be added as a child of
>    "relationships" to support the use of relationships to describe
>    combinations of paths through documentation.

Ok.

I've struggled from the very beginning to keep things simple. I'm just
operating on faith that we really need all these knobs. As I go
through the exercise of writing down the semantics and trying to
implement them, I may want to push back a bit, but for the moment I
don't want to be standing in the way.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Convictions are more dangerous
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | enemies of truth than lies.--
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | Nietzsche

PGP signature

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
1) Description is what the original attribute was called, but there was
some objection to it (I don't remember exactly what).  That's what it
is, and a manifest is probably not the only possible destination for
the content.  I would be happy to go back to calling it a description.
I think alt is stretching a bit.

2) Someone suggested allowing namespaces, but I don't remember the
context.  It was quite a while ago.  I would suspect they are from
the tool environment rather than from the author -- if the tool
chain does not recognize them, they would serve no real purpose.

> [...]

>    preceding the output elements in one file, but following it in
>    another or I would have concluded it was not allowed as a child of
>    structure based on a single instance that had it in the wrong
>    position.  Similar concerns apply to positioning it inside a
>    module.

Hmm. As long as it doesn't torture the content model, I've no
objection to allowing it in more places.

> 4) The attribute "chunk" should be allowed on the element "output," as
>    well as on "module," to deal with situations where chunking needs
>    to be specified for one output but not for others into which the
>    same structure is being rendered.  If specified on a module as well
>    as on an output element that is a child of the module, the value of
>    the attribute on the module is the default for all outputs and the
>    value on the output element overrides the default for the specified

Ok.

> 5) The attribute "linking" needs to be added to the element "instance"
>    to allow specifying the type of linking.  Example values include
>    "targetonly" and "destinationonly," and "pathshome," and
>    "listdestination."  This is the name of the attribute used for much
>    the same purpose in DITA.

Ok.

> 6) The attribute "type" should be allowed on the element
>    "relationships" to allow defining groups of relations with specific
>    characteristics based on the type specification.  Example values
>    include "pathlist" and "lists."

Ok.