OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: RE: [docbook-tc] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 17August 2011

I am curious about the request to support acronym expansion inline.  Back in January, I thought we had worked out a solution, using termdef (attached email describing it).  I also thought the alt element was supposed to render into a title attribute on an acronym element, but unfortunately, the JAWS people are ignoring the W3C accessibility recommendations (as of the last time I saw anything about it -- see http://diveintoaccessibility.org/day_17_defining_acronyms.html).  I think we have to recommend providing the alt element in addition to the termdef, due to inadequacy in the accessibility tools, which should use the title element for the expansion.


-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net] 
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 5:25 PM
To: DocBook Technical Committee
Cc: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [docbook-tc] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 17 August 2011

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 17 August 2011

The DocBook Technical Committee will meet on Wednesday, 17 August 2011 at
01:00p EDT for 90 minutes.

Attendance at teleconferences is restricted to members
(and prospective members) of the committee.

This is the phone number for Wednesday's DocBook TC call:

Phone: +1-719-387-5556
 Code: 902213

The DocBook TC uses the #docbook IRC channel on
irc.freenode.org.  The IRC channel is used for exchanging
URIs, providing out-of-band comments, and other aspects
of the teleconference, so please join us there if at
all possible.


1. Roll call
2. Accepting the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.
3. Next meeting: 21 September 2011
4. Review of the agenda.
5. Review of open action items

  a.  Bob to update his XSL stylesheet for building a
      DocBook document from an assembly.

  b.  Bob to add contributed Publisher's stylesheets to the XSL distribution.

  c.  Norm to post Simplfied DocBook 5.0 to docbook.org.

  d.  Gerson to propose content models for result element(s)
      (RFE 3163121).

  e. Bob and Nancy to initiate a discussion on the mailing
     list to further develop the issues between the two approaches
     to transclusions (ref element vs. attributes).

6.  DocBook assembly 

 a. inheritance of renderas attribute (see Bob's email [2])
 b. other issues?

7.  Extended XLink support (see Norm's email [3])

8.  Transclusion in DocBook.

Continue element vs. attribute discussion
(see [4]).

9.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
      1907003  biblioid content model too broad  

    RFEs under discussion
      2820947  Ability to transclude text 
      3035565  Allow sections at any level  
      3107140  aconym expansion inline 
      3156768  <result> tag

    New RFEs
      3383019  DocBook Music Notation 
      3384939  db.xlink.type.attribute is too narrowly defined 
      3390036  Allow tag elements to nest


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201107/msg00005.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201107/msg00006.html
[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201108/msg00001.html
[4] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201108/msg00007.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

To unsubscribe from this mail list, you must leave the OASIS TC that
generates this mail.  Follow this link to all your TCs in OASIS at:

--- Begin Message ---
This comes under best practices, since no changes are necessary to the schema
or the transforms.  It would probably be a good idea to add an example of this
under termdef in the definitive guide and reference it from both acronym and

This does, however, place the burden on the author to make sure that any
expansion of the term provided in the glossary is consistent with that
provided in the body of the document.  I would likely use an entity for the
contents of the glossterm and the termdef in a 4.x document based on DTDs.
It becomes slightly more challenging in 5.0 unless the transclusion proposal
being discussed is implemented (adding a DTD just to get entities seems like
a kludge to me).

Larry Rowland

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Pawson [mailto:davep@dpawson.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:43 AM
To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [docbook] Acronym Expansion (was RE: [docbook-tc] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 December 2010)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:31:44 +0000
"Rowland, Larry" <larry.rowland@hp.com> wrote:

> <para>We use modulated <termdef>Light Amplification through
> Stimulated Emission of Radiation (<acronym>LASER</acronym>)</termdef>
> technology for short-haul data links.</para>
> If you prefer the acronym first, it still works.  You can also move
> the acronym outside the termdef, but this keeps them together.  This
> solution requires no changes to stylesheets or improvements in screen
> reader technology.

+1 on the solution, propose that the acronym come first and that
both are in the termdef markup.



Dave Pawson

To unsubscribe, e-mail: docbook-unsubscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
For additional commands, e-mail: docbook-help@lists.oasis-open.org

--- End Message ---

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]