OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 October 2011

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 October 2011

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 19 October 2011 at
01:00p EDT for 60 minutes.

1. Roll call

Paul Grosso, Dick Hamilton, Scott Hudson, Jirka Kosek, Larry Rowland,
Bob Stayton, Norm Walsh

Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph

2. Accepted the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: 16 November 2011

4. Review of the agenda.

Add item for Simplified and other supplemental schemas.

5. Review of open action items

 a.  Bob to update his XSL stylesheet for building a
     DocBook document from an assembly.

 b.  Bob to add contributed Publisher's stylesheets to the XSL distribution.
 c.  Norm to post Simplfied DocBook 5.0 to docbook.org.
 d.  Gerson to propose content models for result element(s)
     (RFE 3163121).
 e.  Norm to modify the assembly documentation to reflect
     that automatic renderas not be part of the assembly
     specification itself.

 f.  Larry to write documentation on creating a navigational
     hierarchy from an assembly.
 g.  Norm to propose XInclude enhancements to W3C.

h. Norm will clarify the resolution of RFE 3107140 aconym expansion inline CONTINUED
 i.  Larry to respond to the RFE 3383019
DocBook Music Notation CONTINUED
 j.  Scott to reconvene the Publishers Subcommittee
     to discuss the RFEs.
 k.  Norm to add change allowing tag elements to next to 5.1.
     Norm to add change allowing tag elements to nest to 5.1.

6. DocBook assembly
a. allow structure to behave like module (see Bob's email [2])

Larry suggested that if structure element behaves like
module, then do we need structure?  Norm also would like
a comparison of structure and module if we make this change.

ACTION: Bob to report on differences between structure and module.

Larry suggested two alternate methods of achieving the equivalent
of resourceref on structure.

 i. Use a child module with contentonly to reference a top-level resource.

 ii. Use a single child module that contains all other content, so
     structure does not contribute an element.

ACTION: Bob and Larry to prepare samples of the same content implemented
in these different approaches.

b. other issues?

Bob requested that people try out the XSL stylesheets he prepared
for processing assembly. He pointed out that the kit includes a
stylesheet to disassemble an existing DocBook document into
topics and an assembly to make it easy to get started.

7.  Extended XLink support (see Norm's email [3])
   Continued from last meeting.

To fix the current lack of support for extended XLinks in DocBook 5,
Norm made two proposals:

a.  In 5.1, allow XLink attributes in more places, and remove restrictions
on current attributes.  APPROVED

ACTION: Norm to implement in schema, subject to
final review and approval by TC.

b.  In 6.0, modify extendedlink element in backwards-incompatible way.

ACTION: Norm to announce changes to extendedlink to be made in 6.0

8.  Transclusion in DocBook.

Norm wrote a blog report on his thoughts. [4]

The current thinking is that this feature is not DocBook-specific, so a solution from the W3C XML Core Working Group is preferable.
Norm suggests adding attributes in different namespace on
XInclude to handle processing options. These would be removed by
current XInclude processing. He suggests that they be allowed
to pass through in some way for processing downstream.
The WG will be reviewing this at their next meeting.

Decide on element vs. attribute (see [5]).
Other issues?

The current proposal for DocBook-specific transclusion elements
is on hold for now.

8b.  Supplemental schemas

Norm will produce a DocBook 5 version of Simplified DocBook,
and this will be an official TC product.

Slides and website are not official.
Norm wrote new slides stylesheet.[6]
Dick and Dave Pawson created a DocBook 5 website schema.

ACTION: Norm to prepare slides and website schemas in 5.0.

9.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

   To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


   RFEs to revisit for 6.0
1907003 biblioid content model too broad
   RFEs under discussion
2820947 Ability to transclude text 3035565 Allow sections at any level 3107140 aconym expansion inline 3156768 <result> tag 3383019 DocBook Music Notation 3384939 db.xlink.type.attribute is too narrowly defined
   New RFEs
3406169 allow multiple procedure elements in a task element
Larry spoke in favor of this proposal.  APPROVED.

ACTION: Norm to allow procedure+ in task in DocBook 5.1.

ACTION: Bob to add agenda item for next month:
           multimedia support in DocBook 5.


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201108/msg00012.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201108/msg00018.html
[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201108/msg00001.html
[4] http://norman.walsh.name/2011/10/03/transclusion
[5] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201108/msg00007.html
[6] https://github.com/docbook/xslt20-stylesheets/tree/master/xslt/slides

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]