Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Questions about RFE 3368279

Hi Norm,
As the originator of the RFE, I can clarify what I intended, and then we can go from there.

1. My intention was not to make chapter completely empty. I was proposing something like:

   element chapter {
     db.chapter.attlist, db.chapter.info, db.component.contentmodel?
   }

In other words, keep title and info and make the block and section content optional, not required.

We don't need a completely empty chapter for assembly. That could be achieved with a module element with renderas="chapter" and contentonly="yes" when referencing a normal chapter file.

My use case is where you are using a chapter file as a module that defines the chapter's id, title, and info, but not its content, which is assembled from other modular files.

2. Regarding the list of elements, I had intended to include hierarchical elements that are likely to be modularized, so I would include sect1 through sect5 and simplesect, although I doubt simplesect would be further modularized in practice.

Now that you mention it, part and partintro should be included too.

I had not intended to include refentry and refsection, as a refentry is a cleanly defined module already. It differs from topic because topic can be used in a structure hierachy to morph into other structure elements using renderas. I would include reference, because refentry elements are certainly modules and reference currently requires at least one refentry.

I had not intended to include non-hierarchical elements like procedure, blockquote, sidebar, or other titled elements. Those are unlikely to be modularized in a structure.

3. So I'm not proposing "Required bag of stuff" OR "empty", I'm proposing "Only title required". 8^)

I personally don't think it is necessary to customize this just for assembly. Creating a chapter with just a title and no other content may not be very useful, but it does not violate the rules of a hierarchical structure. And it can be useful in the early stages. When I write in DocBook, I often create my whole hierarchy with just titles, but I currently must add empty paras so it validates. With this change, I won't have to add the empty paras to get started. 8^)

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

----- Original Message ----- From: "Norman Walsh" <ndw@nwalsh.com>