Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Proposed change to scheme versioning

Scott et al,

Indeed there are approved OASIS naming conventions. They are spelled
out in the Naming Directives at:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/ndr/namingDirectives-v1.1.html

The specific guideline on filenames (in section 4) reads:

------
A filename identifying a specific published instance (stage) of a Work
Product, used in a required cover page URI, must have the structure

[WP-abbrev]-[version-id]-[stage-abbrev][revisionNumber].[ext]

Where:
[
WP-abbrev] is a name under TC control matching the agreed-upon Work
Product abbreviation

[version-id] is a versioning identifier component composed of the
single character V OR v (upper- or lower-case), followed by a numeric
string matching the rules for Version (e.g., v1.0 OR V1.1)

[stage-abbrev] is a stage abbreviation in lower case characters

[revisionNumber] is a two-digit number as prescribed below

[ext] is a file extension. [Examples: emix-v1.0-csprd01.doc and
xrd-v1.1-cs01.xml]
------

The stage abbreviations are those for the sequence of document stages
as listed in the TC Process. So CSD = Committee Specification Draft,
CNPRD = Committee Note Public Review Draft.

The description for Version (in section 5) reads:

------
Formally, a Version of a Work Product is a numeric identifier
associated with a focused technical activity that proceeds on the
Standards Track or Non-Standards Track through a number of development
stages, often leading to the creation of an OASIS final deliverable.
A Version in this formal sense must be represented textually by a
numeric string composed of digits [0-9] and period (".") corresponding
to any of the approved lexical models (#.#, e.g. 1.0; #.##, e.g. 1.01;
#.#.#, e.g. 1.2.1; ##.#, e.g. 10.1). Use of any other pattern for a
Version identifier must be negotiated with the TC Administration.

A Version identifier must be used as a discrete path element in
document URIs, and must also be used in a document's principal URI
filenames (i.e., stage-specific filenames in required URIs used on a
cover page). A Version identifier must also be incorporated into a
Work Product name/title, where a title should be composed from a
suitable name/identifier followed immediately (without punctuation) by
the word "Version" and the Version number, e.g., OpenDocument Version
1.2.
------

Given the above, I would put forward your examples this way:

db-publishers-v5.1-csd01

db-assembly-beta-v5.1-csd01

db-simplified-beta-v5.1-csd01

db-xinc-beta-v5.1-csd01

db-core-beta-v5.1-csd01

Let me know if I can help with this in any way.

Best,

/chet

--

/chet