OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 November 2011

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 November 2011

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 16 November 2011 at
01:00p EDT for 90 minutes.

1. Roll call

Paul Grosso, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph, Jirka Kosek, Larry Rowland,
Bob Stayton, Norm Walsh

Dick Hamilton

2. Accepted the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.

3. Next meeting: 14 December 2011

NOTE: this is a change from the original scheduled date
of 21 December.

4. Review of the agenda.

No changes.

5. Review of open action items

 a.  Bob to add contributed Publisher's stylesheets to the XSL distribution.

 b.  Norm to post Simplfied DocBook 5.0 to docbook.org.

 c.  Gerson to propose content models for result element(s)
     (RFE 3163121).

 d.  Larry to write documentation on creating a navigational
     hierarchy from an assembly.

e. Norm will clarify the resolution of RFE 3107140 aconym expansion inline CONTINUE

 f.  Larry to respond to the RFE 3383019
DocBook Music Notation COMPLETED

 g.  Scott to reconvene the Publishers Subcommittee
     to discuss the RFEs.

 h.  Bob to report to TC on differences between
     structure and module in his proposal.

 i.  Bob and Larry to prepare samples of the same content
     implemented in the different structure-level approaches.

 j.  Norm to implement XLink attributes in more places, for
     final review by TC.

 k.  Norm to announce changes to extendedlink to be made in 6.0.

 l.  Norm to prepare slides and website schemas based on 5.0.

 m.  Norm to implement allowing procedure+ in task in 5.1.

 n.  Bob to add agenda item about multimedia support on DocBook 5.

 o.  Paul to provide example of multimedia markup.

ACTION: Norm to incorporate Larry's help assembly doc [2] into
The Definive Guide.

ACTION: Norm to publish 5.1 beta to include XLink changes.

ACTION: Norm to publish simplified, website, and slides schemas based
on DocBook5.

6. DocBook assembly
Allow structure to behave like module (Bob's proposal [3])

Bob posted a set of four examples [4] of how to specify the root
element and top level frontmatter elements in an assembly.

Bob also posted a comparison of the structure and module elements,
where module comes in two flavors: container module that contains
DocBook element, or resource module that references content. [5]

The discussion centered on whether an assembly should contain actual
content. Scott wondered about translation and the need to keep
translatable content separate.  Norm pointed out that putting
content in assembly is optional.  Nancy suggested we might add
an attribute to indicate that no translatable content is allowed
if that is the company policy.

Larry pointed out that the original proposal used
resource pointing to an external file for all content,
so there was only one kind of module, with a required
resourceref attribute.  We anticipated objection to forming
a full module/resource/filename combination just to add an
empty index or toc element to an assembly.  First we
allowed resource to contain an element, then we allowed
module to contain an element directly.  The omittitles and
contentonly attributes were added to support inserting
a sequence of elements (children of the single element)
from such literal content.
Norm suggested that we allow the container module from a
single element to contain any bag of DocBook elements, not a single
element, and thereby remove omittitle, contentonly, and renderas
as obsolete.  This proposal received no objections.

Gershon raised concerns that assembly has gotten too complicated.
Larry pointed out that most of the recent discussions have
been about corner cases.

The group decided to step back and consider a simplified proposal.

ACTION: Bob to prepare a simplified assembly schema and
circulated through the mailing list.

ACTION: Norm to clarify in TDG that DocBook common
attributes on structure are normally copied to the
output root element.

7.  Extended XLink support


8. Transclusion in DocBook

9.  Multimedia support in DocBook 5.

See Paul's proposal [6] and examples [7]

Some discussion of why we have both *object and *data
elements, since *object must contain a single *data
element.  Why not just one element?  Norm said it was
originally because *object had info and *data did not,
but that is no longer the case.  But changing the element
structure would be backwards incompatible.

Jirka asked about rendering to HTML5 video element instead
of HTML4 object element. Bob suggested that the DocBook
markup need not duplicate the properties on each, but that
it contain sufficient information that a stylesheet could
generate those output elements and properties.
Paul's proposal called for moving some attributes from
*data to *object to separate the viewport properties from
the image itself.  Those changes would not be backwards

ACTION: Paul to submit a revised multimedia proposal that is backwards

10.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

   To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):


   RFEs to revisit for 6.0
1907003 biblioid content model too broad
   RFEs under discussion
2820947 Ability to transclude text 3035565 Allow sections at any level 3107140 aconym expansion inline 3156768 <result> tag 3383019 DocBook Music Notation 3384939 db.xlink.type.attribute is too narrowly defined


[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201110/msg00008.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201111/msg00002.html
[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201108/msg00018.html
[4] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201111/msg00001.html
[5] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201111/msg00004.html
[6] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201110/msg00005.html
[7] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201110/msg00019.html

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]