Subject: Notes from our call on the Docbook repository problem

Hi Jirka,

Again, thanks for taking time to review the issue you identified with
Robin and I. Here are my notes from our call. Please feel free to
correct anything I have misunderstood. We will take action to get this
specific problem sorted out.

1. The call was to follow up on your email message of 23 May 2012
subject "Botched repository at oasis-open.org again" - see
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201205/msg00005.html
and followup messages

2. The fundamental problem is that the Docbook resources at
www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ are incomplete. A number of XML tools
(e.g. XML Editor) have been programmed assuming that the pattern of
previous docbook resources being found on www.oasis-open.org/docbook/
was continued. However, the resources for docbook 5 are incomplete.
This is not generally an operational problem because the tools use
local copies. But should they come back to OASIS looking for the
schemas, etc., they’ll get an error.

3. You believe that everything prior to the 5.0 version on the OASIS
docbook site is complete. The problems are in the 5.0 files. For
example, a quick inspection shows that the Relax NG schemas there are
incomplete.

4. You believe that the files on docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/ are
complete. If we mirror that repository onto
www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ we should resolve the problem.

We will pursue that remedy and let you all know what we find out &
what we can do to get it fixed and keep it fixed.

Robin noted in his email to us that there are a larger number of
issues relating to OASIS (Internet domains) DocBook resources being
AWOL/404 and that longer term it would be good to collect all the data
about bugs/infelicities/botches, and fix everything we can. And also
to give the DocBook users an opportunity to chime in w/ their feedback
about link machinery that has become broken over the years. We will
follow up with you on those topics separately.

Again, thanks. Feel free to correct or add to my notes. We will get
back with information on fixing this soon.

Best regards,

/chet
Chet Ensign
http://www.oasis-open.org

Primary: +1 973-996-2298
Mobile: +1 201-341-1393

TC Administration information and support is available at
http://www.oasis-open.org/resources/tcadmin

Follow OASIS on:
LinkedIn:    http://linkd.in/OASISopen