Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] allow article element inside set?

Hi Dave,

How can book and article be top level, when set wraps book?

I didn't mean top level in absolute terms of the schema, but top-level in terms of common usage.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

From: "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 10:50 PM
To: "DocBook Technical Committee" <docbook-tc@lists.oasis-open.org>

On 9 November 2012 17:40, Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net> wrote:
We have a DocBook RFE requesting that we allow article inside set:

We discussed this item at the October meeting, but decided we wanted input
from more TC members before making a decision.  Here are the minutes from
the meeting:

 New RFEs
    3571149   Allow Article inside Set

The TC discussed this new RFE. Larry was concerned about
putting elements from different hierarchical levels together.
Bob mentioned that forcing articles into a book requires
adding a book title, which may not be appropriate for
unrelated articles.  Also, DocBook has long said that
book and article are top-level elements, so creating a
set that mixes them could be useful. Some were concerned
about rendering.  The TC was generally not opposed to
the change, but we want to get more TC input.

My action item was to initiate a discussion of this topic on the TC mailing
list before the next meeting.  Any thoughts?

It makes sense to me. The physical analogy would be the bound sets of articles
in our library?
How can book and article be top level, when set wraps book?
We do talk about a set of books, why not a set of articles in the same way?

If the rendering is too significant a problem I would agree such a minority use
would not be worth it. In which case I'd say no.

Just my 2c

Dave

--
Dave Pawson