Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 December 2012

[ Apologies for the long delay in posting these. ]

> DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 19 December 2012
>
> The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at
> 11:00am ET for 90 minutes.
>
> Agenda
>
> 1. Roll call

Present: Norm, Dick, Larry, Scott, Nancy
Guests: David Cramer, Gabor Kevesdan, Gihan, Steve Ball, Arun ..

> 2. Accepting the minutes [1] of the previous meeting (August).

Accepted.

> 3. Next meeting: 16 January 2013

None heard.

> 4. Review of the agenda.

Accepted.

> 5. Review of open action items
>
>  a.  Norm to publish an XSD for 5.1 when it is finished.
>
>  b.  Norm to document XLink support in The Definitive Guide for 5.1,
>      including the concern about translatable text in the title attribute.
>
>  c.  Norm to follow up on OASIS mirroring the schema directory.
>
>  d.  Norm to integrate accessibility attributes
>      into DocBook 5.1.
>
>  e.  Norm to allow admonitions in table in DocBook 5.1.
>
>  f.  Bob to research how we decided to handle schema extensions.
>
>  g.  Bob to send the proposed slides schema to the TC.
>
>  h.  Larry to try mapping slides to assembly.
>
>  i.  Dick to contact the GSoC participants regarding making
>      a presentation at November meeting.

Completed.

>  j.  Norm to implement RFE 3571149 to allow sets to contain articles.
>
> 6.  Google Summer of Code

Norm tries to scribe the summer-of-code presentations despite a fairly
flaky connection. Apologies for any failures on my part.

Steve Ball:

My student was Buddhiprabha Erabadda. She was working on DocBook
round-tripping stylesheets. There were a couple of aims for this
project:

  1. Convert the stylesheets to XSLT version 2.0
  2. Bring in support for Open Office

Open Office support was completed; XSLT v2 was partially completed.
The goal of XSLT v2 code was to simplify the stylesheets and reduce a
pipeline of four stylesheets to a single stylesheet.

The new stylesheets are checked in on a branch on subversion.

Stefan & Gabor:

Working on support for slides. Part of the project was to bring it up
to speed with DocBook 5. Another part was to update the stylesheets
so that they supported the new vocabulary.

Some discussion of paradigm mismatches: XML is structural but slides
are largely presentational.

Implementation is an RNG customization, extending DocBook with
slides-specific markup in its own namespace.

The output formats are XHTML and XSL FO. These are customizations of
the current stylesheets.

The presentation isn't as flexible as presentation tools like
PowerPoint but it's very easy to generate from technical content.

It works well, but there's always room for improvement. Possible
future directions: HTML5 and maybe some ideas from Open Office
presentation tool.

Schema and transform tools are in the slides directory.

David Cramer:

Two students, Arun and Visitha, worked on webhelp with two mentors: Kasun
and David. Each student had distinct tasks, but they were working in
the same place in the code. We tried to do merges along the way.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tdc1V-wtCutJk_xsI19C47Nu77XzOzUK5K7ylqO_B-Y/edit#heading=h.x1vek5qq6qij

This project was a number of random enhancements on the webhelp work
done last year.

Demos:

Slidable TOC pane:

  http://snapshots.docbook.org/xsl/webhelp/docs/

WAR version with Lucene search:

  http://feline.thingbag.net:8080/Test/ch02s01.html

There's a performance tradeoff to be made. Running directly from the
filesystem or a CDN is easy, but performance can be improved by having
server-side support.

Much of the work is already in the latest release.

Thanks to all the students and mentors.

> 7.  OASIS website issues

Norm reports no progress.

> 8.  Publisher's and eLearning subcommittee reports

No progress to report. No feedback on eLearning assembly.
Scott plans to search for more eLearning stakeholders.

> 9.  Put parameter back inside function element: Dick Hamilton

Dick: There was a bug in the stylesheets. Investigating that bug
revealed that in DocBook 4 allowed parameter inside function and
DocBook 5 doesn't. Was that an accidental change or did we mean to do
that.

Larry: We have lots of content that uses parameter inside function.

Norm: I think we reduced the content model on purpose, but perhaps we
reduced it too far.

Larry: We use constant and parameter. That's all I can remember.

Proposal: Add constant and parameter to function.

Accepted.

ACTION: Norm to investigate adding constant and parameter to function
and report the results.

> 10.  Add slides schema variant to DocBook 5?

Norm: Yes, but as an extension.

Larry: I'd like to look at the assembly integration first.

Norm: Right. We will want to review it but I think we should agree to publish it.

Proposal: Publish as an extension after review.

Accepted.

> 11.  CALS table accessibility
>
> Discuss Scott's proposal. [2]

Norm: Let me publish a beta that has the proposal integrated and we'll
review that.

Scott: On the minutes from 14 November, Norm was going to add a new value
for headers. And make rowgroup and colgroup possible values for scope.

Norm: I think I did those things, but failed to publish the result.

> 12.  Transclusion in DocBook

Norm: It's moving forward well. The W3C Core WG expects to publish a
Last Call Working Draft in January that we can review in the context
of our transclusion requirements.

> 13.  DocBook 5.1 release

As soon as we're happy with the table accessibility issues and feel we
have a stable schema and documentation.

Next month hopefully we can talk about getting out a candidate release.

Dick: It would be nice to get slides in there too for the folks who
worked over the summer.

> 14.  Review of Requests for Enhancement
>
>    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):
>
>      http://sf.net/support/tracker.php?aid=XXXXXX
>
>    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
>      1907003  biblioid content model too broad
>
>    RFEs under discussion
>      2820947  Ability to transclude text
>      3035565  Allow sections at any level
>      3107140  aconym expansion inline
>      3156768  <result> tag
>      3491860   license tag
>      3571149   Allow Article inside Set
>
>   New RFEs
>      3593209   Add see/seealso under

Dick explains the use of "See under" and "See also under" as variants
of "See" and "See also".

Some discussion of this is good practice or not.

ACTION: Scott to ask the publishers what they think.

We can make the final decision next month.

Some discussion of what the other value should be. If one value is "under",
what's the value that means the current behavior.

> -----
>
> [1] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201211/msg00019.html
> [2] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201208/msg00000.html

Any other business

Larry: I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to put together the
presentations and bringing them to us. They were very helpful.

Dick: And thanks to everyone here for taking the time to review them.

Norm: Absolutely, heartiest thanks and congratulations to all involved.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The facts, although interesting,
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | are usually irrelevant.
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |