Subject: Fwd: DocBook v5.1b8, DocBook Publishers spec and table accessibility

FYI, here is some feedback on table accessibility changes. I'll forward my response to the list as well.

--Scott

Begin forwarded message:

From: Nathalie Sequeira <n@n-faktor.net>
Date: February 21, 2013 4:55:05 AM MST

Hello Scott,

I am terribly sorry for the enormous, but unfortunately unavoidable, delay of my response!
My idea was to test the possibilities opened by the the new options, also seeing how they then transform to HTML, but I have just not had that kind of time.

I have now taken a quick first look, especially at the issue you pointed out.

I'm not sure I am doing this correctly - I have simply changed my namespace declaration in a test doc to the beta version like so:
<book xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"
    xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="5.1b8">

but it seems if I do it this way anything goes (may very well be my error too, so if I should take a different approach to testing this please let me know!):

I) I can add the rowheader attribute to the table element as well as to the colspec.
This is confirmed by the declarations, eg. in the .rnc on lines:
 8489 for cals.table,
 8589 for cals.informaltable, and
 8202 for colspec.attlist.

As you rightly saw, however, the options declared universally for the rowheader attribute do NOT make sense in the <colspec/> context, where "yes" or "no" would indeed do the job, making it possible to declare the presence of rowheaders flexibly column by column.
(Just as multiple rows within the <thead/> are already a flexible mechanism for declaring column headers).

"firstcol | headers | norowheader" only make sense in the <table/> context, where, while declaring a "headers" method there may add clarity in some (?) way, it does not add functionality - a functionality that is provided by the xml:id/ headers attributes themselves.
In my setup, I can use headers without this declaration (and would want to be able to, too, since I may have a complex table that doesn't use rowheaders and still need this kind of semantic attribution for clarity).
Also, headers can (and should be able to) be used even if rowheaders="firstcol" is declared.
This makes the additional "headers" value seem rather redundant?

II) In my present setup, I can add the rowheader attribute to both elements concurrently (I think we had discussed that it would be better to have a mandatory either/or choice to reduce error proneness?)
Since having the rowheaders attribute in the the <colspec/> is so much more versatile while covering the old <table/>-context alternatives, I would even go so far as to suggest deprecating rowheader as a cals.table attribute in the midterm.

With respect to this, I think it may be a good idea to think about what different methods are actually being enabled and how they are allowed to be mixed.

1. "classic"
Using <thead/> and table@rowheaders="firstcol", a rudimentary semantic relationship between table headers and data can be established.

2. <thead/>-rows and <colspec/>-rowheaders
This method allows a simple but flexible way of establishing semantic relationships for linear tables.
And to my view, looks like the successor to the "classic" approach which could be phased out without any losses at all.

2a. <thead/>-rows, <colspec/>-rowheaders, and xml:id/headers attribution
Allows for the establishment of semantic relationships in more complex tables, especially such containing spanned entries.

2b. <thead7>-rows, <colspec/>-rowheaders, and scope
Also good for more complex tables, and simpler in implementation than xml:id/headers

III) Lastly, (and this makes me think I really must be doing something wrong in my testing, since I could not find anything in the .rnc to make this valid!): I can actually use the "yes" and "no" options in <colspec/> as well as <table/> (!) without the document becoming invalid.

---
So much for a first feedback on the, agreed!, most pressing issue regarding the CALS table changes.
I would very much appreciate a pointer for checking whether I am testing correctly, and will then proceed to look at the new possibilities more in depth!

Thanks and kind regards,
Nathalie