Subject: Re: Table accessibility, summary and HTML5

On 21.6.2013 17:50, Scott Hudson wrote:

> I did find this:
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/tabular-data.html#table-descriptions-techniques

> If we did that, it would mean adding a details and summary element to
> CALS? I'm not sure that's a good way to go. We could just add an
> @summary, and then rely on the output processors/transforms to take
> the @summary and populate it appropriately?

I think that we shouldn't use attribute like @summary. The reason is
that content in attribute is hard to localize (you can't change
directionality here) and you can't use embeded markup.

I think that actually there is no need to invent any new markup. DocBook
5 offers annotations (http://docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/annotation.html)
and we can use just them:

<annotation xml:id="summary">
<para>In the following table, characteristics are
given in the second column, with the negative side in the left column
and the positive
side in the right column.</para>
</annotation>

With such approach there is no need to invent new accessibility markup
for DocBook, solution will work for both HTML and CALS tables. Moreover
summary can be longer, use markup, links, ...

I think that just documenting this approach in TDG should be sufficient,
or have I missed something?

Have a nice weekend,

				Jirka