Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 September 2013

Hi Stefan,
Regarding getting more details about slides and assembly, you might want to correspond directly with Larry Rowland (larry.rowland@hp.com), the Committee member who experimented with it.

Regarding getting the new slides integrated into the build and distribution, I apologize for the delay. We had to spend time getting a new build and snapshot machine set up, and resolving some SVN problems we were having with it. Those problems seem to be resolved now, and I'm planning to do some more work on the build process itself.

I would not take silence on the list to mean that your offer of help is unwelcome. When I get to the slides build, I will certainly ask for your help.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

From: "Stefan Seefeld" <stefan@seefeld.name>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:51 PM
To: "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net>
Cc: "DocBook Technical Committee" <docbook-tc@lists.oasis-open.org>

Bob,

thanks for sharing these minutes with a wider audience.

On 09/18/2013 04:11 PM, Bob Stayton wrote:

10.  slides schema/assembly

Larry reported on his work to use DocBook assembly for
slides.  He found no advantages for a simple ad hoc set of
slides, but it could be very useful when reusing content
from DocBook documents in slides.  He also saw potential
in eLearning situations.

Is it possible to get some more details about this discussion ? As one
of the authors of the new slides schema I would appreciate to
participate in this effort. I'm still not clear at all what the
relationship might be between slides and assembly. At best, the two seem
orthogonal, i.e. assembly could be a means to "assemble" slides out of
an existing repertoire of DocBook sources. I still don't understand what
makes slides special in that regard, or how it might affect the slides
schema.

He had problems using the new slides stylesheets.
Jirka asked about support in Oxygen XML editor for slides.
We would need to get the new slides working in
DocBook XSL distributions, since that is what Oxygen uses.

When I last worked on the integration of the new slides into DocBook-XSL
trunk (when I met with David Cramer at last year's GSoC Mentor Summit) I
ran into a few limitations due to the current build process. I was
hoping to be able to come back to this, and possibly even work on an
improved build system directly. However, that effort never went off the
ground, unfortunately, as nothing appears to have changed since last year.

I'm not sure whether it is for this reason, but downstream DocBook
distributors don't seem to pick up this new work, which unfortunately
limits its usefulness. (I'm still waiting for the new slides to find
their way into XMLMind's editor, for example.)

I would be happy to help with any of this, but, judging from the silence
on the developer's list, it isn't clear that such contributions would
even be welcome.

   Stefan