Subject: Re: Resigning from the DocBook TC

Norm, what a way to start the day. I feel like the earth just shook.

When I look at the list of specifications that have really changed the world, DocBook is one of those rarified few. Folks today take data portability for granted. They never knew a time when documents were locked up inside file formats and when many of us turned to ascii as our only interoperable choice. I believe DocBook helped to change that, by offering the world a way to encode content independent of software or hardware. And at least in the early days, it was by no means a given that the effort would succeed.

I believe your leadership and personal investment in DocBook is a big part of why it did.

Today, there is more than a Technical Committee. There is a global community built around the standard. Obviously there is a big group now helping to support and grow the value of DocBook. You must be very proud of what you have accomplished.

And personally, I have enjoyed working with you since I came to work at OASIS. A lot.

Technically of course, to the TC as a whole, you will need to elect a new chair as your next order of business, and Bob, if you decide to step up I will be delighted to continue working with you. You all have a 5.1 OASIS Standard to get approved. This is no time to slow down!

Norm, thank you for everything you have done both for DocBook and OASIS. I'll miss seeing your snapshot and signature on these emails.

All the best,

/chet