Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: DocBook VM

Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net> writes:
>> a few months ago we talked about DocBook infrastructure, notably the
>> rackspace VM (?) we used to use for CI and release preparation. Since
>> all of this is nowadays covered by github / travis-ci, we should
>> reconsider what we need. Our last tie to sourceforge.net now is the
>> developers' mailing list. I wonder whether we could migrate that to the
>> above VM. In particular, I was wondering whether it would be possible
>> (and useful) to add a subdomain 'mail.docbook.org', combined with an MX
>> record for mails to @docbook.org, which would allow us to use
>> [developers, docbook, docbook-apps]@docbook.org and possibly others.

OASIS demands that they host docbook-tc@. I believe that the docbook@
list is historically what OASIS would have named docbook-interest@, I
don’t know if they’ll insist on hosting that as well.

I’ve no objection to moving the lists, in any event.

>> If OASIS is willing to support us we could collocate the developers'
>> list with the docbook and docbook-apps lists, otherwise we could use the
>> rackspace VM for that. But as with cdn.docbook.org, I'd prefer hiding
>> the details behind a proper DNS alias (subdomain / MX record), if
>> possible, so users don't have to be aware of such migrations in the
> future).
>>
>> What do you think ?

We should definitely setup mail.docbook.org for this.

> 1) migrate all lists to OASIS
> 2) migrate all lists to a Rackspace VM
> 3) don't change anything, i.e. keep two lists on OASIS, and one on sf.net

Moving the one off sf.net is a good idea, for sure.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Society is immoral and immortal; it can
http://nwalsh.com/            | afford to commit any kind of folly, and