OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: RE: [docbook-tc] DocBook Meeting Agenda for Wednesday February 15, 2017

With regard to item 5.c, whether we have already provided the functional equivalent to xinclude.

While much of what can be accomplished using xinclude can be accomplished using resource mapping, the HREF attribute on the resources element was dropped at some point (it was originally intended to provide a mapping for including blocks of resources).  This means that while a resource element could point at a file of resources, the IDs would not be present so resourceref attributes in structure and its descendants could not correctly resolve to IDs on resources.  I know there was a lot of churn with the model right after it was defined early on and significant simplifications were done and the ability to define a full assembly across files was lost during one of those simplifications.  I know part of the issue came from it becoming so difficult to explain what a specific assembly meant that parts of the complexity were dropped to make understanding it easier.  Flexibility vs. cognitive load is always a tradeoff.

It has certainly been a long time since I looked at this stuff.  :-)

I would say we do not provide fully equivalent functionality.  Parts of it are replaced but significant other are not.  It may well be difficult to validate on-the-fly across resources and structures pulled in via xinclude but that is really an authoring IDE issue rather than a grammatical one.

Larry Rowland 

-----Original Message-----
From: docbook-tc@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:docbook-tc@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Richard Hamilton
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:42 AM
To: DocBook Technical Committee <docbook-tc@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [docbook-tc] DocBook Meeting Agenda for Wednesday February 15, 2017

Here is the agenda for tomorrow’s meeting.
Since I was late getting this out, I didn’t have time to ask for status on action items. If anyone has advance status, please let me know and I will update the agenda.

Best regards,
DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 15 February 2017

The DocBook Technical Committee will meet on Wednesday,
15 February 2017 at 2:00pm ET

Attendance at teleconferences is restricted to members
(and prospective members) of the committee.

This is the phone number for Wednesday's DocBook TC call:

Phone: +1-719-387-5556
Code: 902213


1. Roll call

2. Accept the minutes [1] of the previous meeting (18 January 2017).

3. Next meeting: 15 March 2017

4. Review of the agenda.
5. Review of open action items

  a:  Jirka: Investigate best method to resolve Github issue 52, after March, 2017.
  b:  Jirka: Re-open Github issue 53 and assign it the label "accepted"
  c:  Larry: Investigate whether we have already implemented Github 54
  d:  Dick: For Github issue 71, investigate to see how we might add a license
                link to legalnotice using class, info, or other existing markup.
  e:  Bob: Talk with Norm to clarify Github issue 72 and determine which
               sites need https and which already have it.

6. Add buildtarget element (continue discussion on Github issue 6). Notes from last month:
        Suggestions include:
           - Use existing tag, systemitem, or function elements.
           - Use a broader element, e.g., target
           - Create a new buildtarget element
           - Another element name that allows for branching.
           - Are we trying to explain a build language?
           Concern about whether we lose clarity if we go broader.

7.  Review of Requests for Enhancement

  To find a Github issue by number, enter the URL (on one line):

  6     Add buildtarget element
  7     Allow revnumber inline.
  52   Allow multimediaparam in imagedata
         See action a: above.
  53   Extend article @class with other and otherclass [ closed on 9/18/2016 ]
         See action b: above.
  54   Add XIncludes to Assembly Schema
         See action c: above.
  71   license tag (migrated from sourceforge)
         See action d: above.
  72   The DocBook websites should really be using https
         See action e: above.
  74   (Re)allow recursive use of optional
[1] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201701/msg00003.html

To unsubscribe from this mail list, you must leave the OASIS TC that 
generates this mail.  Follow this link to all your TCs in OASIS at:

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]