OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - Meeting Minutes 19 April 2017 uploaded

Submitter's message
DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 19 April 2017

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday,
19 April 2017 at 2:00pm ET


1. Roll call
>> Bob, Jirka, Larry, Scott, and Dick.

2. Accept the minutes [1][2] of the previous two meetings (15 February and 15 March 2017).
>> Accepted without objections

3. Next meeting: 17 May 2017
>> We will have a new dial-in number for the next meeting. Scott will provide the information to the TC.

4. Review of the agenda.
>> No additions

5. Review of open action items

a: Jirka: Investigate best method to resolve Github issue 52, after March, 2017.
>> Jirka proposed a solution, which is in the comment area for Issue 49.
Bob: suggested multimedia attributes in 52. Would it be better to use existing attributes?
Scott: How does this related to existing attributes, such as width, depth, etc.?
Jirka: This gives you better control.
Larry: What happens with PDF? Could use some examples.
Scott: DITA 1.3 introduced an attribute for delivery target. We may want to consider something similar.
Bob: We may need a more general solution that covers print as well as web.
Dick: Need to deal with multiple formats for PDF (e.g., print and online use of a PDF).
Larry: Likes this solution, but it may be too tightly tied to HTML5.
We agreed that we need to broaden the targets and work through some more examples
before coming to a conclusion.
ACTION: Jirka: Create more examples and provide more options.

b: Jirka: Re-open Github issue 53 and assign it the label "accepted"

c: Larry: Investigate whether we have already implemented Github 54
Follow up from February's meeting: Larry volunteered to generate
some sample cases to show where XInclude would be useful.

d: Dick: For Github issue 71, investigate to see how we might add a license
link to legalnotice using class, info, or other existing markup.
>> Dick posted a query on the issue and received some feedback.
ACTION: Dick: add item to discuss this at the next meeting.

e: Larry: Come up with a list of alternatives to the proposed buildtarget element using current elements.
>> See item 7 below.

e: Bob: Talk with Norm to clarify Github issue 72 and determine which
sites need https and which already have it.
>> See item 7 below.

f: Bob: Update docbook.org to include official 5.1 and point to OASIS for official releases on docbook.org.
>> See item 8 below.

g: Bob: Update the OASIS front page for 5.1.

6. Thank Jirka for his service on the TC and discuss his future work on DocBook.
>> Jirka is willing to continue helping with stylesheets and schema, but he is unable to be
a formal member of the TC.

7. Add buildtarget element (continue discussion on Github issue 6). Notes from last month:
Suggestions include:
- Use existing tag, systemitem, or function elements.
- Use a broader element, e.g., target
- Create a new buildtarget element
- Another element name that allows for branching.
- Are we trying to explain a build language?
Concern about whether we lose clarity if we go broader.
Larry volunteered to come up with a list of alternatives to discuss this month.
>> Larry: From a linguistic viewpoint, buildtarget is just a positional argument handed to a command.
Ant documentation calls this a target. There are other types of commands that have the concept "Target."
Therefore, if we add an element, we should call it target, not buildtarget. Adding target to DocBook
makes sense, but buildtarget is much more restrictive.
Contents would be the name of an extension you have added to a language. It is not a systemitem or
a function.
Bob: Do you mean extension to the grammar of a language?
Larry: It's adding a sub-command to a language.
Bob: What about a named subroutine? Would a named subroutine in a language be a target, too?
Larry: A subroutine is not accessed from outside the language, while a target is. Target is an entry point.
Scott: Could it be a URL or path, or is it always a named thing?
Larry: URLs could be used to access a target, but this is a name defined by the language.
Bob: So, a URL would not be a target.
Scott: Could you apply this to a web service, e.g., for a web-service endpoint?
Larry: I hadn't thought of it that way. Interesting idea to consider. We get hit with web services all the time.
Should we consider questions such as, if Ant were a web service, how would you handle target?
Scott: Maybe use the term entrypoint and broaden it to include a web service. But, you might need to
add a service endpoint.
Larry: Needs additional analysis to see if we can create something that is not tied to a command line.
ACTION: Larry: Further analysis from a broader viewpoint. He will initiate an exchange on the mailing list.
Bob: need to make sure we don't make too broad a definition. However, we do need to go beyond buildtarget.

Scott: Set up WebEx connection for future meetings.
Jirka: Create more examples and provide some more options for resolving Github Issue 52 (and 49).
Dick: Add discussion about Github issue 71 to next month's meeting
Larry: Continue analysis of buildtarget, considering broadening the term.
Bob: Ask Norm about getting broader permissions to edit docbook.org.

8. HTTPS for docbook.org: Norm suggested that we should use https for docbook.org, at least for downloads.
Discuss whether we should do this and, if so, how we should do this. Connected with this, we should
discuss ongoing maintenance for docbook.org.
ACTION: Bob: Ask Norm about getting broader permissions on the site. Jirka has some permissions, but
we need to work with Norm for better access.

9. Review of Requests for Enhancement

To find a Github issue by number, enter the URL (on one line):

6 Add buildtarget element
7 Allow revnumber inline.
52 Allow multimediaparam in imagedata
See action a: above.
53 Extend article @class with other and otherclass [ closed on 9/18/2016 ]
See action b: above.
54 Add XIncludes to Assembly Schema
See action c: above.
71 license tag (migrated from sourceforge)
See action d: above.
72 The DocBook websites should really be using https
See action e: above.
76 Allow nesting of in in DB 5
>> Larry: Reasonable request. Jirka Marked this issue as accepted.

78 Schema website should be updated

>> Items 82, 83, 84, 85, and 86 were moved from sourceforge by
Scott. They are for the Publisher's schema. These have been
approved; they need to be tagged and incorporated into the
5.1 version of the schema.
82 Add admonitions to Publishers
83 include mechanisms for table accessibility
84 Epigraphs should allow poetry in Publishers schema
85 Replacement for "annotation" element in Publishers schema
86 linegroup and blockquote elements
88 DB 5.0: @name -> title change not published on docbook.org

[1] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201702/msg00003.html
[2] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201703/msg00002.html

-- Mr. Richard Hamilton
Document Name: Meeting Minutes 19 April 2017

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Mr. Richard Hamilton
Group: OASIS DocBook TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2017-04-19 18:06:42

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]