OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - Meeting Minutes 13 September 2017 uploaded

Submitter's message
Revised to have the correct company for Larry Rowland (HPE, not HP) and to change SigDOC with ACM DOCSIG in item 6.
DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 13 September 2017

The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 13 September 2017

Attendance at teleconferences is restricted to members
(and prospective members) of the committee.
Dial-in information is available at: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201708/msg00001.html


1. Roll call
>> Bob, Dick, Larry, and Scott. Guest: Jirka

2. Accept the minutes [1] of the previous meeting (9 August 2017)
>> Accepted

3. Next meeting: 11 October 2017

4. Review of the agenda.
>> No items added

5. Review of open action items

a: Larry: create some use case examples for adding license information and include any use cases contributed by other TC members.
ACTION: Jirka: create examples of specific link types using RDFa
ACTION: Larry: create examples of how we might use an expanded legalnotice.
>> See email [2] and item 7 below.

b: Bob: revise broadcast message inviting interested people to join the DocBook based upon committee input at last meeting.
>> Bob spoke with Carol Geyer. See item 6 below.

c: Bob: Ask Jirka whether schema website has been updated.
>> On hold until we publish the Errata.
>> Continue

d: Bob: Talk with Norm and work up a history of Github Issue 88: DB 5.0: @name -> title change not published on docbook.org
ACTION: all: Look for possible errata items and report to Bob.
ACTION: Bob: Does OASIS require a new version number?
>> Continue

e: Larry: Look into allowing types (when used in method and function) to be more than 1 type.
FOLLOWUP: Larry: will ask submitter of issue 91 whether allowing multiple instances of type
will do, or if a wrapper is needed.
>> Complete: Requester would like a wrapper, not clear it is needed. See email [2].

6. Future of DocBook

>> Bob spoke with Carol Geyer, who suggested some marketing to expand audience for DocBook
>> and keep the standard relevant and vital.
>> What do you get out of it and what does your company.
>> Scott: He gets experience with various technologies; connection with other technical communicators with similar needs.
>> Specification development skills carry over into other tech comm skills.
>> Scott's company, Boeing, gets a seat at the table to define needed features. Interoperability can be better understood.
>> Dick: Helps to raise the profile of a small company and lend credibility both personally and for the company.
>> Larry: Helps to understand how to design a markup language. Able to interact with experts in the field.
>> Bob: Should we say anything about DITA? More generally, we should discuss the interaction among
complementary standards.
>> Scott: Has brought aspects of DocBook into DITA committee.
>> Jirka: I like that I can contribute to maintenance of DocBook schema and keep
>> it up-to-date with new requirements from DocBook users.
>> Bob: How should we distribute this?
>> Possibilities beyond OASIS mailing lists include: LinkedIn, W3C, TechWRL, STC, and ACM SIGDOC.

7. License information:
>> Larry: Two types of licensing: End user agreements (complex), other parties' licenses.
>> For the second category, some are agreements and others are notifications.
>> Larry's company, HPE, has a statement that starts with HPE's end user agreement, followed
>> by a table that refers to all the components (typically open source components).
>> Bob: What specifically about a license do we need to capture?
>> Larry: Maybe something that differentiates it from everything else in the document.
>> And it may be important to differentiate originator's license and contributor's license.
>> Dick: Is it worth trying to classify the types of licenses? Consensus is no; there are way
>> too many possibilities.
>> Jirka: Suggests using RDFa vocabulary, for example property="license".
>> Larry: Agrees, and we should expand what's allowed inside legalnotice, including
>> sections.
>> Jirka: See comment on Github issue 71[3]showing how to use RDFa to express a license.
>> Bob: Proposes: Expand content model of legalnotice to be a component-level attribute
>> and allow the use of the property attribute along with links to represent licenses. Also
>> maybe allow legalnotice in more places. But, because legalnotice lives in info, it can be
>> attached to nearly anything.
>> Such changes could be part of 5.2.

ACTION: Dick: create agenda item to finally resolve this issue at the October meeting.
ACTION: Jirka: will look for additional examples of licenses using RDFa and see if RDFa
has existing syntax to indicate licenses.

8. Review of Requests for Enhancement

To find a Github issue by number, enter the URL (on one line):

Open Issues (Note: items that have been accepted are still open on Github until included
in a release, but they are not listed here):

6 Add buildtarget element

54 Add XIncludes to Assembly Schema
>> Larry suggests that we should do this. General agreement on that point.

71 license tag

72 The DocBook websites should really be using https

78 Schema website should be updated

88 DB 5.0: @name -> title change not published on docbook.org

91 Allow types (when used in method and function) to be more than 1 type.

93 Diff between doc of resource element and Assembly schema
>> Documentation for the resource element in assembly is incorrect (issue 93). Resulted from
>> changes in the feature that didn't get reflected in the documentation.
>> Need to review the documentation.
ACTION: Bob: make this change in the documentation.
>> Continue

94 Allow subfigures

[1] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201708/msg00003.html
[2] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/201709/msg00001.html
[3] https://github.com/docbook/docbook/issues/71

-- Mr. Richard Hamilton
Document Name: Meeting Minutes 13 September 2017

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Mr. Richard Hamilton
Group: OASIS DocBook TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2017-09-13 12:51:23
Revision: 1

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]