Can we test
this first, to make sure it actually solves the problem? I'd
hate to wait until the end and find out we still have
unfortunately sequence of events, Jirka Kosek has discovered
that the fix we were going to apply to DocBook 5.0 for the
change in Schematron rules won't work. His mail below
(which did not reach the TC because he is no longer a
member) describes how the update of Schematron also changed
the namespace name, so adding s:title in the old namespace
is simply wrong. He suggests that we instead create a 5.0.1
release with the correct updated Schematron namespace and
rules, and leave 5.0 alone as working with legacy
Schematron. Then users would have a choice.
Chet Ensign of OASIS about rescinding an Errata, and he said
that is not possible. Once something becomes an OASIS
Standard, it is permanent. He said we could publish a
correction on the OASIS site about the Errata being wrong
and the Errata URL could point to the correction first. I
think that is sufficient for 5.0.
I don't want
to wait until the next meeting to start on this. I suggest
we develop a 5.0.1 Committee Specification and pursue that
as a new OASIS Standard. Comments?
On 14.3.2018 19:25, Scott Hudson wrote:
for the RNG fix (issue 88), the TC voted to fix the problem in-place to minimize versioning issues and to fix the problem.
Can you please make the appropriate change in-place?
Hi Scott, what
looked like a simple change actually turned into opening can
First -- the
https://github.com/docbook/docbook/issues/88 is wrong --
DocBook schemas for V5.0 are using older Schematron namespace
where @name attribute should be used instead of title
subelement. So we shouldn't be changing @name to title without
changing Schematron namespace as well.
So one way how to deal with this issue is to simply close it
and respond with information that DocBook V5.0 schemas are
using (now) legacy version of Schematron where usage of @name
attribute is correct.
Another possibility is to generate new schemas for V5.0 that
would use the newest ISO Schematron -- including new namespace
and title element instead of @name. I was trying quickly
generate such schemas as it should be pretty straightforward
-- Norm recently created special branch
that should hold historical copy of V5.0. Although I have been
able to build from this branch the problem is that generated
schema is definitively not V5.0 -- content models show that
this is some historical snapshot of V5.1.
So if we want to provide V5.0 schemas with updated Schematron
namespace the easiest would be to change existing V5.0 release
manually. If we decide to release such schema I strongly
suggest making this V5.0.1 version and publish it at a new
URL. Changing Schematron namespace could potentially break
some existing pipelines.
I'm CCing Norm and TC as well to get insights from the whole