OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 12 September 2018

1.       Roll call

a.       Regrets: Sabine Ocker

b.       Attendees: Bob Stayton, Scott Hudson, Dick Hamilton, Larry Rowland, Jirka Kosek

c.       Bill Burns has resigned from the TC.

2. Accept the minutes [1] of the previous meeting (13 June 2018) 

3. Next meeting: 10 October 2018

4. Review of the agenda. 

5. Review of open action items

a.  Bob to update Docbook.org to reflect Errata 01 once the schema is available on the site for download. OBSOLETE.

b.       Jirka will prepare a new release to incorporate <formalgroup> (5.2). COMPLETED.
Implemented changes are:

c.       Bob to follow up with Jirka to determine why the namespace was lost (issue 88).

d.       Bob to fix the catalog as part of the 5.1 Errata 01.

e.       Larry to create a candidate for the necessary schema changes to add XInclude support for Assemblies for DocBook 5.2.

f.        Larry to create an alternative structure using legalnotice as a block, and see if legalsection is needed, or if the existing block elements would suffice.

g.       Bob to create a sample of structure as a resource and test stylesheet mods to see if it introduces further issues. CONTINUED.

h.       Scott to announce availability of 5.0.1 as ready for review COMPLETED.

i.         Scott to follow up with Norm to generate the 5.1 DTD and document the process for generating it. COMPLETED.
"Several years ago, after a lot of effort, I concluded that it wasnât possible. I began working on the XSD version of DocBook by hand because I thought I could generate a DTD from that. I expect thatâs still the most practical way forward. Be seeing you, norm"

j.         Bob/Jirka to include Assembly proposals in 5.2: CONTINUED.

i.                     Grammar is used to identify a particular set of content. A matching grammar should also appear on the transform to convert the content appropriately.

ii.                   name is used to identify a particular set of content, with a matching transform to some non-standard output.

iii.                 grammar = inputs to normalize to DocBook

iv.                 name = outputs from DocBook to a non-standard format

v.                   set name OR grammar, but not both on both transform and resource

vi.                 do not use mime type for grammar

Bob to follow up with Norm on toolchain issues and documentation.

k.       Committee draft specification for 5.0.1 approved by members via email vote on 09 JUL 2018. (COMPLETED)

                                                   i.      The DocBook Schema Version 5.0.1
Committee Specification Draft 01
09 July 2018

Relax NG schemas: http://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/docbook/v5.0.1/csd01/schemas/rng/
Schematron schema: http://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/docbook/v5.0.1/csd01/schemas/sch/
DTD schema: http://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/docbook/v5.0.1/csd01/schemas/dtd/
XML schemas: http://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/docbook/v5.0.1/csd01/schemas/xsd/

  1. Motion by the chair:
    I move that the TC approve submitting The DocBook Schema Version 5.0.1 Committee Specification Draft 01 contained in http://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/docbook/v5.0.1/docbook-v5.0.1.html for 30 day public review.
    1. Dick seconds
    2. Approved unanimously
  2. Larry to create an alternative structure using legalnotice as a block, and see if legalsection is needed, or if the existing block elements would suffice.
    1. Larry: created sample EULA is not an alternate structure, but used existing available markup. Bridgehead is not the best. Would really like to have a legalsection.
    2. Bob: likes legalsection as well, so as to avoid conflicts with existing sections.
    3. ACTION: Larry to rework with a legalsection, Bob to provide an XSL customization.
    4. ASSUME: the legalsection model should match the existing legalnotice model.
    5. Larry: had to use screen to match the existing structure of an opensource license. Bob: what about using literallayout instead?
    6. ACTION: Larry to experiment with nesting legalsection and also with attempting legalnotice nested within legalsection. Also, should legalnotice be allowed outside of info? This would enable a series of legal notices as part of an article, rather than creating sections to get another info for each.

8. Social media presence for DocBook

Purpose: To raise awareness of actions (votes, calls for information, etc.)

Scott to post to docbook-apps and retweet when formal public review opens.


9. Review of Requests for Enhancement

To find a Github issue by number, enter the URL (on one line):



Open Issues (Note: items that have been accepted are still open

on Github until included in a release,

but they are not listed here):


71 license tag


78 Schema website should be updated


88 DB 5.0: @name -> title change not published on docbook.org


93 Diff between doc of resource element and Assembly schema


99 Add <endorsement> to <info>

Consider for Publishers.


100 DocBook 5.1 catalog.xml uses incorrect version


103 XML DTD of DocBook 5.1





[1] https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/docbook/email/archives/201805/msg00005.html

[2] https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/docbook/documents.php


Additional business:

Dick: Ramping down business, and will need to drop OASIS membership. He will not be able to be a part of the official TC after the October meeting. Willing to participate if needed as a guest, but will lose official membership.


All: Commendations for all of Dick's contributions and years of service!


Thanks and best regards,




Voting member:

Boeing Data Standards Technical Advisory Board

OASIS DocBook TC (Secretary), Publishers SC (Chair)

OASIS DITA TC, Tech Comm SC, LwDITA SC, Learning Content SC (Secretary)


OASIS Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) TC


Scott Hudson
Content Strategist, Digital Aviation Learning and Development

Jeppesen, A Boeing Company

55 Inverness Drive East

Englewood, CO  80112

303-328-6228 | Cell: 303-350-7934




This document contains only administrative, uncontrolled data under U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]