OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 24 October 2018

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 24 October 2018


The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 24 October 2018

(11am PDT, 12noon MDT, 1pm CDT, 2pm EDT, and 8pm CEST)

1.         Roll call

    1. Jirka Kosek
    2. Larry Rowland
    3. Sabine Ocker
    4. Bob Stayton
    5. Scott Hudson

2.        Accept the minutes [1] of the previous meeting (12 September 2018) 

    1. Bob moves to accept. No objections. Meeting minutes accepted.

3. Next meeting: 14 November 2018

4. Review of the agenda. 

5. Review of open action items

a.   Bob to follow up with Jirka to determine why the namespace was lost (issue 88). COMPLETED.

                schema element was missing a namespace. Fixed for next release.

b.       Bob to fix the catalog as part of the 5.1 Errata 01. COMPLETED.

c.       Larry to create a candidate for the necessary schema changes to add XInclude support for Assemblies for DocBook 5.2. CONTINUED.

d.       Bob to create a sample of structure as a resource and test stylesheet mods to see if it introduces further issues. COMPLETED.

Resource can now point to another structure, which can be resolved, allowing assemblies of assemblies!

e.         Bob/Jirka to include Assembly proposals in 5.2: CONTINUED.

i.                     Grammar is used to identify a particular set of content. A matching grammar should also appear on the transform to convert the content appropriately.

ii.                   name is used to identify a particular set of content, with a matching transform to some non-standard output.

iii.                 grammar = inputs to normalize to DocBook

iv.                 name = outputs from DocBook to a non-standard format

v.                   set name OR grammar, but not both on both transform and resource

vi.                 do not use mime type for grammar

              f.   Bob to follow up with Norm on toolchain issues and documentation. COMPLETED.

Jirka creates schemas, Bob worked with Norm on stylesheet distribution and docs.


              g.  Larry to rework with a legalsection, Bob to provide an XSL customization. COMPLETED.

Jirka suggested using section, so this may require further discussion re: introduction of new element. ALL: review before next meeting.

h.   Larry to experiment with nesting legalsection and also with attempting legalnotice nested within legalsection. COMPLETED.

6. Request a Special Majority Vote to approve v5.0.1 as a Committee Specification.

No comments after public review.

"I move to approve the Chair requesting that TC Administration hold a Special Majority Ballot to approve The DocBook Schema Version 5.0.1 Committee Specification Draft 01, 09 July 2018, contained in http://docs.oasis-open.org/docbook/docbook/v5.0.1/csd01/docbook-v5.0.1-csd01.docx as a Committee Specification." Larry moved. Scott seconded.

Unanimously approved.

ACTION: Bob to fill out request form with OASIS and a formal ballot should be created by OASIS.


7. Other business


8. Social media presence for DocBook

Purpose: To raise awareness of actions (votes, calls for information, etc.)

Scott to post when v5.0.1 is fully approved.


9. Review of Requests for Enhancement

To find a Github issue by number, enter the URL (on one line):



Open Issues (Note: items that have been accepted are still open

on Github until included in a release,

but they are not listed here):


71 license tag


78 Schema website should be updated


88 DB 5.0: @name -> title change not published on docbook.org


93 Diff between doc of resource element and Assembly schema


99 Add <endorsement> to <info>

Consider for Publishers.


100 DocBook 5.1 catalog.xml uses incorrect version


103 XML DTD of DocBook 5.1



107 namespacesynopsis - should use generic <info> rather than introduce <namespacesynopsisinfo>.

108 enumsynopsis

109 typedefsynopsis

110 macrosynopsis


How much of this is aimed at a specific language vs. how much can be generally applied to multiple programming languages. Can existing synopsis elements be used with a class attribute, rather than creating new individual elements? It would be interesting to know if the content models would be different for these?


What about adding a class/otherclass attribute to the existing synopsis element? Would the role attribute suffice? (only works if the content models do not differ).


What is the use case? How would these need to be individually used from a documentation point of view? (indexing?)


Would the existing markup meet the use cases here? We create elements for every possible component of every programming language (and stay up to date with new language developments!)


ACTION: Bob to follow up on the RFEs to request more clarification.



[1] https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/docbook/email/archives/201805/msg00005.html

[2] https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/docbook/documents.php


Thanks and best regards,




Voting member:

Boeing Data Standards Technical Advisory Board

OASIS DocBook TC (Secretary), Publishers SC (Chair)

OASIS DITA TC, Tech Comm SC, LwDITA SC, Learning Content SC (Secretary)


OASIS Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) TC


Scott Hudson
Content Strategist, Digital Aviation Learning and Development

Jeppesen, A Boeing Company

55 Inverness Drive East

Englewood, CO  80112

303-328-6228 | Cell: 303-350-7934




This document contains only administrative, uncontrolled data under U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations.


[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]