OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 09 January 2019

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 09 January 2019


The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 09 January 2019

(11am PDT, 12noon MDT, 1pm CDT, 2pm EDT, and 8pm CET)

1.                Roll call

    1. Scott Hudson, Bob Stayton, Sabine Ocker, Larry Rowland
    2. Jirka Kosek

2.          Accept the minutes [1] of the previous meeting (12 December 2018) 

3. Next meeting: 13 February 2019

4. Review of the agenda. 

5. Review of open action items

a.   All to test XInclude support for Assemblies for DocBook 5.2 and provide feedback.

b.       Bob/Jirka to include Assembly proposals in 5.2:

                                                                                       i.      Jirka provided samples, Bob still needs to test. CONTINUED.

i.                     Grammar is used to identify a particular set of content. A matching grammar should also appear on the transform to convert the content appropriately.

ii.                   name is used to identify a particular set of content, with a matching transform to some non-standard output.

iii.                 grammar = inputs to normalize to DocBook

iv.                 name = outputs from DocBook to a non-standard format

v.                   set name OR grammar, but not both on both transform and resource

vi.                 do not use mime type for grammar

**Bob clarify according to minutes: Add @name to transform and @transform to resource. Need to reflect changes (after test) to the documentation.

ACTION: Bob to update documentation

6. XInclude support for Assemblies for DocBook 5.2. 

            All need to test. CONTINUED. Scott to remind folks mid-month.


7. Extension for synopsis elements

            We would need to add a programming extension to the schema (not included by default, similar the publishing extensions). Syntactic markup may be needed in the future. Extension would meet the user needs. TC is amenable to creating this extension.  Need to make sure that such extensions are not specific to any one language, but apply to more than one language. (Issue #111)

            Larry: a lot of good work in this proposal! Not sure we need separate "info" elements for each of these.

            Bob: Generic info element was introduced in DocBook v5, so we need to find out if there are unique requirements for each of these "info" models.

            Scott: Info model doesn't appear to have unique requirements.

            Jirka: It appears that their info elements follow the same as the generic model?

ACTION: All to review info element proposals and provide any feedback to Bob.

ACTION: Bob follow up with the submitter to see if generic info would work.

ACTION: All to review with someone familiar with various programming languages to see if this provides enough detail to map to various languages.


8. Legalsection vs section - review the content model of legalnotice to be sure it can serve as both legalnotice and legalsection. Current model:

div {
.legalnotice.role.attribute = attribute role { text }
.legalnotice.attlist =
& db.common.attributes
& db.common.linking.attributes
.legalnotice.info = db._info.title.only
.legalnotice =
element legalnotice {
.legalnotice.attlist, db.legalnotice.info, db.all.blocks+


legalnotice woudn't appear in content (it is in info), but legalsection would be allowed in normal content (having the same model).


Consensus on the approach. Next step would be to integrate this proposal into one of the beta schemas.

ACTION: Larry to create an integrated proposal, all to review before next meeting for approval.       


9. Social media presence for DocBook

Purpose: To raise awareness of actions (votes, calls for information, etc.)


10. Review of Requests for Enhancement

To find a Github issue by number, enter the URL (on one line):



Open Issues (Note: items that have been accepted are still open

on Github until included in a release,

but they are not listed here):


71 license tag


78 Schema website should be updated


88 DB 5.0: @name -> title change not published on docbook.org CLOSED


93 Diff between doc of resource element and Assembly schema


99 Add <endorsement> to <info>

Consider for Publishers.


100 DocBook 5.1 catalog.xml uses incorrect version


103 XML DTD of DocBook 5.1



refentry in sect1

#112 opened 3 days ago by petere - Correction agreed for v5.2. Review other models for similar corrections. All section models should have the same structure. ACTION: Bob to review models and address schema corrections.


DocBook Library (tentative name) - Supercedes 107, 108, 109, 110

#111 opened 21 days ago by dourouc05 



[1] https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/docbook/email/archives/201812/msg00007.html

[2] http://github.com/docbook/docbook/issues



Thanks and best regards,




Voting member:

Boeing Data Standards Technical Advisory Board

OASIS DocBook TC (Secretary), Publishers SC (Chair)

OASIS DITA TC, Tech Comm SC, LwDITA SC, Learning Content SC (Secretary)


OASIS Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) TC


Scott Hudson
Content Technology Strategist, Digital Aviation Learning and Development

Jeppesen, A Boeing Company

55 Inverness Drive East

Englewood, CO  80112

303-328-6228 | Cell: 303-350-7934




This document contains only administrative, uncontrolled data under U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]