OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 13 February 2019

Hello fellow Docbook TC members


My sincere apologies for missing our meeting yesterday.

I am under deadline, and I guess slightly too effectively ignoring my Outlook.


Since I am still coming up to speed on matters Docbook and assemblies are new to me, would someone be willing to show me how they work in Oxygen? No rush as I know we are all super busy, but sometime before the next meeting would be grand.







From: <docbook-tc@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Scott Hudson <scott.hudson@jeppesen.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 2:25 PM
To: "docbook-tc@lists.oasis-open.org" <docbook-tc@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Subject: [docbook-tc] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 13 February 2019


DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 13 February 2019


The DocBook Technical Committee will meet on Wednesday, 13 February 2019

(11am PDT, 12noon MDT, 1pm CDT, 2pm EDT, and 8pm CET)

1.                   Roll call

a.       Scott Hudson

b.       Bob Stayton

c.       Larry Rowland

Regrets: Jirka Kosek

Absent: Sabine Ocker

2.                   Accept the minutes [1] of the previous meeting (09 January 2019) 

a.       accepted

3. Next meeting: 13 March 2019

4. Review of the agenda. 

5. Review of open action items

a.   All to test XInclude support for Assemblies for DocBook 5.2 and provide feedback. (COMPLETED)

                                Larry provided the package. Scott and Bob tested. With revised package, the xinclude and package works as expected.

                                In order to make things validate in oXygen, two things have to be done:

1.       Turn on Enable Xinclude Parsing under Preferences->XML->XML Parser.

2.       Enable Master file processing from the Project menu.  Once it is enabled, a Master Files folder shows up in the project view and you can create a link into it by dragging the assembly-with-xinclude-2.xml file into it (the file is linked rather than moved).

Assume the Xinclude support will work with other IDEs as well, but further testing not done.


In the Assembly schema, 90% of it is replicated DocBook model, instead of being included / imported. Should fix this for 5.2. Only need to keep descendants of info. ACTION: Bob to discuss with Jirka how to trim down the assembly model with the xinclude support.

b.       Bob/Jirka to include Assembly proposals in 5.2:

                                                                                       i.      Jirka provided samples, Bob still needs to test. CONTINUED.

i.                     Grammar is used to identify a particular set of content. A matching grammar should also appear on the transform to convert the content appropriately.

ii.                   name is used to identify a particular set of content, with a matching transform to some non-standard output.

iii.                 grammar = inputs to normalize to DocBook

iv.                 name = outputs from DocBook to a non-standard format

v.                   set name OR grammar, but not both on both transform and resource

vi.                 do not use mime type for grammar

**Bob clarify according to minutes: Add @name to transform and @transform to resource. Need to reflect changes (after test) to the documentation.

ACTION: Bob to update documentation.  (CONTINUED)
Bob has the content, but needs to understand the process. Bob needs to get more info from Norm on how to maintain the documentation in github.

c. XInclude support for Assemblies for DocBook 5.2. 

            All need to test. COMPLETED.


d. Extension for synopsis elements

            (Issue #111)

ACTION: All to review info element proposals and provide any feedback to Bob. Bob submitted samples to list 11FEB2019. CONTINUED.

ACTION: Bob follow up with the submitter to see if generic info would work. CONTINUED.

ACTION: All to review with someone familiar with various programming languages to see if this provides enough detail to map to various languages.

                Larry - problem with the schema, as presented. Still seems a bit noisy, but need some real-world examples to determine how usable it is. Semantic inlines need to be evaluated.

                Bob - When we get this more settled, need to submit this to the DocBook list and see if it is workable. More feedback would be great.

                Bob - can a generic info work? A single info would be easier to maintain. Larry - perhaps a specialized synopsisinfo might still be needed, but we need to make sure we aren't


e. Legalsection

ACTION: Larry to create an integrated proposal, all to review before next meeting for approval.   CONTINUED.   


f. #112 All section models should have the same structure.

ACTION: Bob to review models and address schema corrections. CONTINUED.

ALL: start work on action items earlier; Scott to send a reminder mid-month.


9. Social media presence for DocBook

Purpose: To raise awareness of actions (votes, calls for information, etc.)


Scott reminded that OASIS has gone through a re-branding effort, which will impact future deliverables.


10. Review of Requests for Enhancement

To find a Github issue by number, enter the URL (on one line):



Open Issues (Note: items that have been accepted are still open

on Github until included in a release,

but they are not listed here):


71 license tag


78 Schema website should be updated


88 DB 5.0: @name -> title change not published on docbook.org CLOSED


93 Diff between doc of resource element and Assembly schema


99 Add <endorsement> to <info>

Consider for Publishers.


100 DocBook 5.1 catalog.xml uses incorrect version


103 XML DTD of DocBook 5.1


112 refentry in sect1

            Correction agreed for v5.2. Review other models for similar corrections. All section models should have the same structure. ACTION: Bob to review models and address schema corrections.

111 DocBook Library (tentative name) - Supercedes 107, 108, 109, 110



[1] https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/docbook/email/archives/201901/msg00005.html

[2] http://github.com/docbook/docbook/issues



Thanks and best regards,




Voting member:

Boeing Data Standards Technical Advisory Board

OASIS DocBook TC (Secretary), Publishers SC (Chair)

OASIS DITA TC, Tech Comm SC, LwDITA SC, Learning Content SC (Secretary)


OASIS Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) TC


Scott Hudson
Content Technology Strategist, Digital Aviation Learning and Development

Jeppesen, A Boeing Company

55 Inverness Drive East

Englewood, CO  80112

303-328-6228 | Cell: 303-350-7934




This document contains only administrative, uncontrolled data under U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]