OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-tc message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes 10 NOV 2021

DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 10 NOV 2021


The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wed, : 10 NOV 2021
(11am PDT, 12noon MDT, 1pm CDT, 2pm EDT, and 8pm CET)

  1. Roll call

Scott Hudson

Bob Stayton

Norm Walsh

Larry Rowland

  1. Accept the minutes [1] of the previous meeting (18 AUG 2021).   

Next meeting: 08 DEC 2021

  1. Review of open action items

a.        ALL: Test v5.2 b11 (https://github.com/docbook/docbook/pull/218 )

  1. Social media presence for DocBook

Purpose: To raise awareness of actions (votes, calls for information, etc.) 
Plan to post regarding next beta. (v5.2 b12)


  1. Remaining items for v5.2 Committee Spec
    1. Proposed an optional attribute of namespace (or ns or nsref) to all the syntactic elements (the new ones as well as the existing ones like variable and constant) including namespace, since namespaces can contain other namespaces.

      The namespace attribute should point at an xml:id on a namespace element.

Norm: Programming languages vary *a lot* and part of the challenge here is

elements that can be used across a variety of languages.


1. Java doesn’t have anything it calls namespaces. It has packages that

   have a lot of functional similarity to namespaces in other languages.

2. C++ and C# have namespace. They are clearly a wrapper around other

   language constructs.

3. What Python calls namespaces are really about scope of identifiers.

   There are only a few namespaces and programmers can’t add new ones.

   Python does have packages that you can import and, like Java, these

   behave a lot like what other languages use a thing called

   “namespaces” for.

4. Perl, like Java and Python, has packages which scope names.


I suggest we change the content model of namespacesynopsis to something

like this:



   db:refname [ "namespacesynopsis" ]

   db:refpurpose [ "The syntax summary for a name space definition" ]


div {

   db.namespacesynopsis.info = db._info.title.forbidden


   db.namespacesynopsis.role.attribute = attribute role { text }


   db.namespacesynopsis.attlist =


    & db.common.attributes

    & db.common.linking.attributes

    & db.language.attribute?


   db.namespacesynopsis = 

      element namespacesynopsis { 




         (db.package | db.modifier)*,

         (db.namespace | db.namespacename),

         (db.package | db.modifier)*,

         (db.synopsisinfo | db.classsynopsis

          | db.constructorsynopsis | db.destructorsynopsis

          | db.enumsynopsis | db.fieldsynopsis

          | db.funcsynopsis | db.macrosynopsis

          | db.methodsynopsis | db.synopsis

          | db.typedefsynopsis | db.unionsynopsis

          | db.namespacesynopsis)*




that makes package a container again, rather than needing namespace and/or confusing it with xml namespaces.


Bob: This is about documenting programming languages, so we need to make it as efficient.


Consensus: rename namespacesynopsis to packagesynopsis. Test the implementation of this in the next beta (b12) with a plan to approve in Dec meeting.

    1. Completion schedule for v5.2
      1. Provide to DocBook community for a month or two for feedback or review.
      2. Barring significant changes, request template from OASIS and move forward with the finalization process.
  1. Remanining issues

222 Request for value attribute with the <listitem> tag

ACTION: Norm to clarify in a documentation update


221 XPath _expression_ error in Schematron file for 5.2b10a5?

ACTION: Norm to include in next beta with a pull request


219 Assembly: allow <structure> as root element
                Status: Approved on 11AUG2021.


201 use correct OASIS URLs in catalog.xml

Status: Complete


150 Support legal sections with a class attribute? 
Status: Accepted.
 From 14OCT2020 minutes:

Adopt the @class="legal" for all of the sect levels, but let's leave unresctricted. Allow extension through the @class="other" and @otherclass attributes. Either section in legalnotice, or as a regular section with the class attribute would be considered.

             ACTION: Complete


151 Add a schematron rule for the callout type constraint 
Status: Accepted and closed.  
ACTION: Check next beta


152 Add schematron rules for productionset reference constraints 
Status: Accepted, closed, and implemented.  
ACTION: Check next beta


153 Future use comments for XLink elements  
Status: This became the meta element in info.  Accepted, closed, and implemented in PR #176. 
ACTION: Check next beta.


156 docbookxi doesn't support XInclude 1.1 
Status: Accepted, closed, and implemented in PR #175. 
ACTION: Check next beta.


157 Propose algorithm float along with figures, tables, and examples? 
Status: This became type attribute. Accepted, closed, and implemented in PR #185.  
ACTION: Check next beta.


163 Add Transclusion Attributes to Assembly Schema 
Status: tentatively approved, need to see beta.  
ACTION: Check next beta.


164 Allow pubwork attribute on biblioentry 
Status: Accepted, closed, and implemented in PR #184. 
ACTION: Check next beta.


171 Support CRediT for contributor info and allow several roles? 
Status: Norm suggested using @role. Scott followed up and requestor is OK to implement using @role.
ACTION: Bob to ask Norm to implement it


180 title and titleabbrev: do they both need to be either inside <info> or outside? 
Status: TC not inclined to change the schema.  
ACTION: Bob to ask Norm to update TDG to clarify this.


188 include.xsl doesn't work if there is div around overridden definitions inside include

Status: Jirka added a fix for this.

ACTION: TC to test schemas 


[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]