Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: styleheets

Guillaume Rouchy wrote:

> eylem wrote:
>
> > hello docbook intersted users,
> >
> > i use
> > Xemacs with the psgml mode,
> > the docbook31.dtd,
> > the modular docnook stylesheets from n. walsh ,
> > the dsssl engine jade from j. clark and
> > the docbook-tools sh scripts.
> >
> > this is really a god environment to create sgml documents and  to
> > transform them to other document formats like .html .pdf ...
>
> Eylem,
>
> I am sorry I haven't got any answer to your question but two other one
> for you:
> 1. What are the docbook-tools sh scripts ? What do they do ? Where did
> you get them ?

The Package `docbook-tools'
===========================

The package contains:

    db2x.sh       - a script to convert SGML documents conforming to the
                    DocBook DTD 3.0 and 3.1

    suse-both.dsl - a driver file to Norman Walsh's DocBook stylesheets.

Both these files are based on ideas by Mark Galassi.

Requirements
------------

To use all features of `db2x.sh' you've to install the following
packages (on SuSE Linux 6.1):

    mktemp

    docbk30
    docbkdsl
    iso_ent
    jade_dsl
    sp
    sp_libs

    jadetex

    tetex
    te_kpath
    te_latex
    te_pdf
    te_pscm
    te_mpost
    te_ams

How to use it
-------------

Please, try the --help tableau:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- cut here -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Usage: db2x.sh [OPTION]... FILE
    Run a DocBook SGML document trough various programs.

      --help              display this help and exit
      -v, --version       output version information and exit

      -d, --dvi               output DVI
      -f, --fot               output FOT
      -h, --html              output HTML
      -m, --mif               output MIF
      --pdf                   output PDF
      -p, --ps, --postscript  output PostScript
      -r, --rtf               output RTF
      -t, --tex               output TeX

      -j, --jade VAR...       set "jade" variables; e.g., "-V
%shade-verbatim%"

      -x                      trace shell script

    Only the last specified output format will be produced.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- cut here -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

For convenience, I do provide the following phony links:

    db2html db2dvi db2fot db2tex db2ps db2pdf db2mif db2rtf

Examples:

If you want to produce HTML output, use `db2html':

    db2html FILE.sgml

You'll find the HTML files in the subdirectory FILE, ready to put on the
webserver.

If you want to produce PostScript, use `db2ps':

    db2ps FILE.sgml

You'll find the PostScript file in the current directory as FILE.ps,
ready for printing.

Customization

Customization could be done via the driver file suse-both.dsl; to be
found at /usr/share/sgml/docbook-tools/suse-both.dsl on SuSE Linux.

> 2. How do you generate PDF ? I am very VERY interested in !!

your second qustion is answered in 1.