Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: PDF backend and images

Guillaume Rouchy <rouchyg@gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com> writes:

> Well, I am a little bit surprised because I have just realised that
> GIF cannot be included directly into tex. You have to convert the
> images first into ps or eps. I would be glad to know how you do this
> process ?  Are you using another piece of soft to handle the
> conversion like ImageMagick or something else ?

pdftex (and pdfjadetex) support PNG and PDF (encapsulated PDF) as
import format for graphics.

I tried to use ImageMagic directly to make PNG out of GIFs, but
ImageMagic (the convert application) wasn't able to set the density of
the PNG image. ( I would like the screen-shots so be in ~150 DPI, not
72 DPI as is default.  Then the images don't take up that much space
on a page, and the result looks good when printed.).

The solution that I use currently is:
 1: use convert to get from GIF to EPS.
 2: use epstopng-script to convert to PNG.

epstopng is a small modification of the epstopdf script written
originally by Sebastian Rahtz.  I changed the output format to be PNG,
and added a density option, thereby letting me set the density in the
result PNG file imported by pdfjadetex.

NOTE that epstopng uses Ghostscript, and that only newer version of
ghostscript supports the density setting in PNG-files. I use version
5.50 of Ghostscript, that seems to supports it :-)

I wish ImageMagic had the resolution option.  It would save me a lot
of trouble.

--
 Thomas A. Berger