Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: pdfjadetx problems with "number of strings"

Egon Schmid <eschmid@s.netic.de> writes:

> Dear all,
> I have problems to translate the PHP manual with pdfjadetex to PDF.
> After 721 pages I get always the famous TeX error message:
>
> 	 TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=56622].
>
> I try to increase the various variables in /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf and made
> a proper 'tex -ini latex.ltx'. But the number of strings is still 56622.
> What should I change else?
>
> With small docbook manuals from the postgreSQL documentation I had no
> problems. I was able to produce a valid PDF file.

I'm no TeX expert, but have hacked and customized some on our own
teTeX installation.  This is what I have experienced:

pdfjadetex is using a format file pdfjadetex.fmt.  This is, in our
case, build by using the hugelatex settings in texmf.cnf.

You may want to:
 1) increase the variable for hugelatex if found in texmf.cnf
 2) rebuild the pdfjadetex.fmt

I don't remember the exact way of rebuilding pdfjadetex.fmt.  I did it
once quite a long time ago, and the wat may depend on your TeX
distribution and pdfjadetex installation.

--
 Thomas A. Berger