One reason not to do it is that it changes the structure of the
document. Instead of having the list as a child of a paragraph
you add an empty paragraph before the list. Although valid, writing
empty paragraphs is discouraged in the HTML 4.0 spec., and browsers are
supposed to ignore them (although the current browsers don't).

If the purpose of putting a list in a paragraph is to control
leading (vertical spacing) you could use
 <ul>...</ul>

You may even want to use <div class="was-para">
in case you use div to mark other DocBook elements
when translating to HTML.
One may control the spacing with CSS (level 1 or higher)

the spacing after the list with CSS1.

Regards,
Nir.

At 09:34 AM 11/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Recently, I've had a number of new requests to make the HTML
>output from my stylesheets HTML 4.0 compatible. To the best of
>my knowledge, the only thing preventing this from being the case
>(aside from errors on my part :-) is that blocks nested inside
>paras aren't allowed in HTML. So,
>
>  <para>
>    <itemizedlist>...</itemizedlist>
>  </para>
>
>becomes

>    <ul>...</ul>
>
>which isn't allowed.
>
>I'm inclined to "fix" this problem by omitting </p> end
>tags. This is legal HTML and will generally do a better job than
>the current situation which is clearly a violation of the DTD.
>
>I'm not 100% convinced that every possible combination will
>result in valid HTML 4.0, but surely a lot more combinations
>will be valid.
>
>Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't do this?
>
>                                        Cheers,
>                                          norm
>
>--
>Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Every new beginning comes from