Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: [jadetex] French typography with the Modular Stylesheets?

On Tuesday 23 November 1999, at 16 h 34, the keyboard of Sebastian Rahtz
<sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:

> sure. DSSSL is all about re-inventing the wheel! Its inevitable, if
> you think about it. All the man years of careful work that has gone
> into LaTeX and similar software has to be reimplemented in new systems
> like this. Hopefully, two steps forward after that one step back.

Well, DSSSL never made the two steps forward and we have now to reinvent the
wheel in XSL :-(

>  >    (else (bullfcn "dash" ilevel))))
>  >                    ;; The original one had "bullet" here
>
> I wonder what "dash" expands to?

It does not seem documented in the Modular Stylesheets. The DocBook documentation just says that these values are not specified.

> do you know what Unicode character you want?

en-dash (lib/dblib.dsl translates "dash" to em-dash instead), U-2013. I changed for:

(define (BULLTREAT bullfcn ilevel override mark)
  (cond
   (override (bullfcn override ilevel))
   (mark (bullfcn mark ilevel))
   (else (bullfcn "en-dash" ilevel))))

and it is much better. See the "dingbat" function in lib/dblib.dsl for a list of values. I did not find a way to enter the Unicode directly, since the "dingbat" translates everything it ignores to "bullet".