Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: 2 docbook lists

Norman Walsh writes:
 > My general feeling is that any new list is just another new list
 > I have to watch, and so I'd really prefer to consolidate. OTOH,
 > if you're not interested in formatting or stylesheets, there's
 > been an increasing volume of traffic about them on this list.
 >
 > I don't know what to do. Suggestions?

  Perhaps the best thing (not a complete solution since this is more
of a "social engineering" problem) would be to make a list of related
lists and newgroups, and explain how they *should* be used.  Frequent
posters will be more likely to use the right list, and infrequent
posters will still use whichever one they've heard of or are already
subscribed to.  The list could be made available at docbook.org or
oasis-open.org (or both!), and posted to at least some of the relevant
lists / groups every three months or so.
  But reducing the number of groups used is harder than getting people
to use the "right" list for each post, and that seems to be your
biggest interest.  You could simply ignore some of the lists (at least
for DocBook content), and then let that be known.  People who care
enough will seek out an appropriate forum.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>