Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: recursive table?

The only thing that DocBook "explicitly prevents" is inserting a table
element within a table.  You can embed a table within another table by
creating your own "embedded table" element.  Of course, as with any tag you
create, it's up to you to worry about the formatting (which may not be all
that difficult).

Dave Hintz

At 10:57 AM 12/13/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>/ Chang Liu <liu@ics.uci.edu> was heard to say:
>| Is there a way to embed a table within another table in DocBook?
>| In HTML, tables can appear in a cell of other tables. I tried to
>| do the same thing in DocBook but can't pass the compiler. Is
>| this feature supported?
>
>No. It is explicitly prevented. You can put 'entrytbl's inside
>'entry's, but that's only a single level.
>
>In general, nested tables are very, very difficult to format.
>(HTML "succeeds" because it provides only fairly coarse controls
>on table formatting.)
>
>                                         Cheers,
>                                           norm
>
>--
>Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Always do one thing less than you
>http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | think you can do.--Bernard Baruch
>Member, DocBook Editorial Board    |

David L. Hintz                   Metaphase Technology Division
Senior Software Engineer         Structural Dynamics Research Corp.
Technical Communications Group   4233 N. Lexington Ave., Suite 3290
Phone:   651/482-4156            Arden Hills, MN 55126-6198
Fax:     651/482-4001            mailto:DLH@MetaphaseTech.com