Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: 2 docbook lists

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 11:01:39AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:

> I wish there were only two :-) There are at least seven places
> that I try to watch for DocBook questions:
>
> - docbook@lists.oasis-open.org

General discussion on the DTD itself

> - docbook-tools-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
> - sgml-tools@via.ecp.fr

These two lists cover specific tools: not everybody uses them and not
everybody is interested in discussions about them.

> - xsl-list@mulberrytech.com
> - dssslist@mulberrytech.com

It should be general XSL or DSSSL questions. But I sometimes send
questions about DocBook Modular Stylesheets there, because there is no
list about these stylesheets. Let's create one :-)

Many questions on docbook@lists.oasis-open.org are about the DocBook
Modular Stylesheets. Strictly speaking, they are off-topic, but the
people who post them have two excuses:

- many people do not understand SGML and did not get that the Modular
Stylesheets are not part of DocBook, and that you can process DocBook
without them.

- there is no list for the Modular Stylesheets.

> And someone else just recently suggested splitting the DocBook
> list in half (DocBook DTD/Schema questions vs. DocBook
> stylesheet/formatting questions).

IMHO, the traffic is not enough to do that. Wait until it becomes near
to unbearable.