Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Equation Enhancement Idea - Wishlist?

/ satchell@merry.dera.gov.uk was heard to say:
| As I understand it equations in DocBook are actually just graphics. This is
| a lowest common denominator. Would it be possible at some time in the future
| to allow equations in MathML. I know the tools are not really mature yet, but

Yes, that's the plan. The timing hasn't been worked out, though.
The problem is that DTDs don't deal with namespaces very well
(er, at all!) and MathML works best as a namespace (to avoid
tag name collisions).

The TC plans to produce an experimental XML Schema version of
DocBook 5.0, and incorporating MathML in that version would seem
very easy (and likely).

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | certain: adj., insufficiently
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | analysed