Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: DocBook XML formatting

/ Amos Latteier <Amos@digicool.com> was heard to say:
| I'd rather not reinvent the wheel just because I don't understand how
| the wheel I've got works.

Documenting this particular wheel is on my list. But it's a long list.

| Does anyone have suggestions, recipes, or examples for customizing the
| XSLT formatting? For example, I'd like to control the headers and
| footers along with the placement of the table of contents on the
| titlepage.

What tool are you using to format your print documents?

| I'd also like to know more about how to control chunk.pl, for
| example, how can I change the file naming convention that it uses?

You can use the <?dbhtml filename="xxx"?> processing instruction
in your documents, but if you want to change the default naming,
you'll have to edit chunk.pl and change the chunk_filename and
recursive_chunk_filename functions. (What scheme would you like?)

| I've decided to try out the DocBook DSSSL style sheets and am having
| some trouble. I've got jade installed and I'm trying to figure out how
| to create a catalog file for the DocBook XML DTD. It does not come with
| a catalog file, though the SGML DTD does come with one which gives me
| some idea of where to go.

You can just add

  PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//DTD DocBk XML V3.1.7//EN"
         "/path/to/your/installed/location/docbookx/docbookx.dtd"

to one of your existing catalogs. All of the rest of the
components can be found via relative system identifiers from
that location.

Of course, since you're using XML you must have a system
identifier in your <!DOCTYPE declaration, so you can probably
skip the catalog alltogether.

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Another month ends. All targets
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | met. All systems working. All
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | customers satisfied. All staff