Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Including OS Version information on DocBook elements

-On [19991222 00:00], Fred L. Drake, Jr. (fdrake@acm.org) wrote:
>Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai writes:
> > How will we make sure the version get their relevant info to make those
> > decisions about what to include or not?
> >
> > Nik's solution involved a Makefile system with scripts.  With the above
> > I reckon you want to integrate it into DSSSL or relevant tools?
>
>  I don't think my suggestion had anything at all to do with tools.
>Whether someone wants to do the DSSSL/XSL footwork to implement this
>sort of versioning or use a Python script is entirely up to them.  The
>notion of "current version" and version ranges just seems much more
>general than only interesting for operating systems.  If I build a
>large piece of software (say, a programming language), I might want to
>be able to maintain the documentation for multiple versions.  Some
>text may apply to version <= X, and other text to version > X, but
>other changes are simply to fix typos or other errors, and are not
>version specific in any way.  If I can then regenerate the formatted
>documentation for, say, the last three versions, that would certainly
>be useful for users who aren't upgrading for whatever reason.

Sorry, I really failed to communicate properly. =\

I understand what Nik meant with his osversion (heck, I am one of the
people whom he had discussed it with before ;).

I think that reading Norm's mail prior to yours made me think that you
also wanted to use DSSSL or whatever to accomplish these versioning tags
(why?  I really don't know, must be the flu still messing with my mind).

What I understand in our FreeBSD and Debian cases is that we can use CVS
to tag the appropriate piece of text and use those tags for the
versioning.  I am just wondering what solutions need to be thought of
for projects not using CVS.  In what way would they specify the versions
and make sure these get used throughout the creation of the final
documents.

And that also wonders me, is all of that even possible with DSSSL (I am
really a rookie with DSSSL) or other related languages/tools?

Hope I sound less confused now. ;)

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai           asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl]
Documentation nutter.          *BSD: Technical excellence at its best...