Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: DocBook 4.0: ClassSynopsis

Norman Walsh writes:
 > Is the following observation correct: there's no dispute about
 > the semantics for exceptions or interfaces, the only point of
 > contention in the current proposal is whether or not
 > superclasses need to be called out in some more explicit way
 > than order among siblings.

  I think that's roughly right, though your asking and our discussion
to this point makes me think that the set of superclasses / interfaces
should be separate from the set of allowed exceptions.  This is mostly
a result of wanting to allow "exceptions" which are distinct from
"classes" (which *is* the case for Modula-3, but there is no concept
of exception inheritance: exceptions cannot be derived from other
exceptions) [note: I'm not actually aware of any language which
distinguishes exceptions from classes *and* supports exception
inheritance].
  If DocBook is to support such languages, there needs to be a marked
separation between what something is (superclasses & "implements"),
and what exceptions can be raised by constructors.  That might be the
way out:  the class itself doesn't raise exceptions, only it's
methods.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>