Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Including OS Version information on DocBook elements

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 05:16:57PM +0100, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> writes:
>
> |   We would then have a pre-processor that, given the name of a
> |   specific release, would run through the documentation, stripping out
> |   all the elements whose osversion* attributes didn't match that
> |   release, before handing the SGML over to a formatter like Jade.
>
> Wondering again why people refuse to use SGML and "marked sections"...
> XML is to please machines and not to make the writer happy.

Been there, done that, had the discussion already.

  1.  Marked sections get complicated if you want to describe something
      like "Only include this content if the document is built for
      FreeBSD versions 2.1, 2.2, and 2.2.2.

  2.  We're shifting to an XML world, like it or not.  XML doesn't allow
      marked sections in the document instance, only the DTD.

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell