Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: DocBook 4.0: ClassSynopsis

/ Dmitry Tsitelov <cit@comcon.spb.ru> was heard to say:
| > In real life, the attlists will also include local extension
| > parameter entities and role attributes.
| >
| > <!ELEMENT ClassSynopsis - - (Modifier*,
| >                              (ClassName|InterfaceName|ExceptionName)+,
| >                              (ClassSynopsisInfo
| >                               |FieldSynopsis|%method.synop.class;)*)>
| >

| . . .
|
| Excuse me for possible misunderstanding, but how this model allow to specify
| such attributes of inheritance, as virtual /public/private inheritance in
| C++ ? I'm sure, there are such attributes in other languages too.

Those are all "modifiers" in this model (remember, we're documenting not
modelling):

<classsynopsis>
  <modifier>public</modifier>
  <classname>foo</classname>

  <methodsynopsis>
    <modifier>virtual</modifier>
    <type>someType</type>
    <methodname>bar</methodname>
    <void/>
  </methodsynopsis>
</classsynopsis>

The question of inheritance is still on the table. I think that
for the purposes of documentation, a simple list of class names
and the semantic that the class names after the first are
superclasses is sufficient, but a number of people disagree.

I'm reluctant to add a lot of structure here mostly because I
don't want the resulting structure to be biased towards a
particular programming language if that can be avoided. I also
don't want to give the impression that it is a goal that you
should be able to generate code from these synopses or
something.

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Picture a massless particle.
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ |